Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Going Green

I will be the first to admit that sometimes going green = going broke. I realized this when I saw a 32 oz bottle of organic apple juice in the grocery store for $6.99. Jewel brand apple juice was 2 for $4...hmmmm. So I am not going to say that all things organic are the way to go becuase lets be honest...we are all on a budget. But now that I have a baby, I am really starting to rethink some of the choices I make. But how do you go green without going broke?

I decided to start small and do the things that I thought would make the most difference. For one thing, Eric and I decided that we had to be better about recycling. Eric also decided to plant a garden so that we could have fresh fruit and vegetables without having to pay $16 for an organic tomato. I am also hoping to make some of my own baby food with those fruits and veggies...but we will see how that goes :-)

Another thing my mom and I did was buy a set of envirosaxs (see picture to the left). These set of 5 bags are cute, they fit in your purse, and they can hold a ton of groceries. We got them from www.envirosax.com. You can find these enviro-friendly bags all over the place...even at the dollar store! We just thought it was a really easy way to save on all those plastic bags we were collecting from the grocery store, Target, and my new favorite store...Babies R Us.

So speaking of babies, besides attempting to make some of my own organic baby food and buying organic formula when I quit breastfeeding...I wanted to know what else I could do to make my home healthier for Addie. And thanks to my sister-in-law and a little book called "Healthy Child Healthy World: Creating a Cleaner, Greener, Safer Home", I have decided to throw out every household cleaner I have and replace them with cleaners that are safe and good for the environment. But when I started looking at the cost of some of those green cleaners...I was shocked! I refused to go broke cleaning my freaking toilet. So, I started doing some research and a friend of mine suggested some cleaning products by Shaklee called "Get Clean". I decided to give them a try, especially since the cleaners are concentrated. A 16 oz bottle of their Basic H2 Organic Super Cleaning Concentrate will make 48 gallons of cleaner!!! And at around $10 a bottle...thats like 20 cents a gallon! And think of all the plastic you save! It was a no-brainer. Anyway, I LOVE the cleaners and I am happy that not only am I using safer stuff around the house, but I am also saving money in the long run! If any of you are thinking about switching to safer household cleaners, I highly recommend checking these out.

Overall, I feel pretty good about the small steps I am making towards a greener lifestyle. I still have a lot to learn and a lot more to read, but at least I know that all these little changes will help keep Addie...and the planet...a little healthier :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment