Tuesday, August 5, 2008

No Excuses

My first day as a SAHM mom was everything I hoped it would be. Addie and I got up around 7:30, had some cereal in our bath robes and watched a little Micky Mouse Club. I was just about to get started on my to-do list when my sister-in-law called and said "hey...you feel like going shopping today?". I knew I needed to clean the kitchen, do some laundry, work-out, etc. but instead I said "hell yeah...we'll be ready in 15 minutes". I figured why not have some fun my first day off. Dana and I have always had work as an excuse to not get together but we no longer had that! So it seemed appropriate to celebrate this occasion by doing what we love...shopping and drinking Starbucks with our girls. We had SO much fun!! We spent the whole day together and I am so glad we did. But...when I got home and saw the mess in my kitchen, the piles of dirty laundry in the bedroom and the dust on my elliptical machine...I knew I couldn't use work as an excuse for those things anymore either. Damn! I had never realized how much I blamed on work! The list is pretty long:

1. Work is the reason I haven't lost my muffin top or back fat since having Addison. I mean, who has time to work out when you are a working mom? Apparently lots of moms find the time to work out even with a full time job so now I am REALLY screwed. I dusted off my elliptical today and just bought my copy of Post-Pregnancy pilates

2. Work is the reason I don't eat healthier meals. I am "too busy" to pack a lunch so I eat out all the time. And, since I am so tired when I get home from work, there isn't always time to make dinner AND take care of the baby. So that is why we have Macciano's on speed dial. I think if Eric has to eat another calzone or beef sandwich...he might divorce me. So now I have to strap on my apron and learn how to cook other meals besides spaghetti and tacos. 

3. Work is the reason I don't keep up with scrapbooking. For years I have claimed that scrapbooking is my hobby but aside from the one book I did for Addison while I was on maternity leave, I haven't scrapbooked since I had the pictures developed from my bachelorette party in 2006. And honestly...those shouldn't be lying around for Addison to see anyway so I better get to it. I am going to set up a table in my basement so I can make a mess and not have to clean it up each day. As any scrapper knows...that is half the battle. 

4. Work is the reason I shop too much. I mean come on...I worked in downtown Naperville! 4 out of my 5 favorite stores were within walking distance for crying out loud. How was I suppose to resist? But now that we are minus one paycheck AND not within walking distance of any of my favorite stores...I think it is safe to say that I will be better about clipping coupons and watching our budget. That is if I can get Dana to stop calling me for shopping trips :-)

5. Work is the reason I forgot about my other hobby...writing. Although, I can't really blame work for this. I should make more time to write since that is the reason I wanted to major in English in the first place. I mean, I did write a children's book when I was 18. But then I fell in love with teaching writing and then later found my position in administration and it just sort of took a back seat to everything else in my life. And it will still have to take a back seat to Addie, but when I can sneak in some quiet moments to myself, I plan to get started again. Who knows, maybe I will be published by the time Addie goes to college :-)

I could keep going with my list...but I think you get the point. I have used work as an excuse for a lot of things. Sometimes I will miss having that excuse (like when I am scrubbing the toilets), but at the same time, I couldn't be happier to have these new responsibilities!! I am sitting in my living room drinking an ice tea watching Addison play in her gym. She is laughing and smiling at me and I am sure she is thinking what I am thinking...we are so lucky :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment