Wednesday, September 3, 2008

No Mama...I'll Tell YOU When I Want to Nap

I promised a long time ago to review the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child" and although I haven't read the book cover to cover, I have tried several of his methods and in doing so I have come to one conclusion...Addie is not a schedule savvy baby. 

First of all, I feel like the past month of my life has been all about timing. I have planned every activity of every day around when and where I will get Addie to sleep. I have tried to keep her from sleeping in her carseat and stroller because the book says those are two VERY big no-nos when you are trying to set a sleep schedule. I have passed up the opportunity for play dates, shopping trips, lunches, etc. all so I can get her down when she is suppose to be down. Now don't get me wrong...it's not as if Addie and I have been two little hermits for the past month, but we have definitely spent a significant amount of time at home working on her sleep schedule. And honestly...it hasn't made one bit of difference. 

Addie has already developed an "I do what I want, when I want" type of attitude and at first I was worried about this. I remember telling my mom one day that I had become Addie's bitch. She had me working on her schedule. If she didn't feel like going down for a nap at 9:00, 1:00 and 4:00...she wasn't going down. Period. Being the control-freak that I am, I was determined to make this schedule happen. But every day, naptime became a battle and it was making us both unhappy! So...I decided to scrap the schedule and let her lead me. I quit looking at the clock and I didn't turn down one invitation this past week. We went shopping with Aunt Dana and cousin Nia, we went to breakfast and Target with Grandma, we went swimming with the girls, we had the family over for a BBQ and we went grocery shopping...twice! I didn't stop her from sleeping in her car seat or stroller. I didn't care if she went down for 1 or 4 naps at home. And most of all, I didn't care how long her naps where. If they were still going to be 20-30 minute cat naps...so be it. But the surprising thing was...they weren't cat naps! All of her naps at home this week have been at least an hour or more! Sure...she has had a cold and a few of those naps were in the arms of mommy and daddy but hey...it's still progress in my eyes! Even with a stuffy nose, I have the happiest schedule-free baby in the world. I mean...just look at this picture! This was after a very successful (and much needed) hour and fifteen minute nap this morning. So if this is what I can expect from Addie when I let her show me that she is tired instead of forcing her to be tired at a certain time...then I will gladly chuck the sleep schedule for good. Mommy bitch...reporting for duty!

No comments:

Post a Comment