Sunday, October 26, 2008

Damn You WebMD!

It is now 9:00 p.m. and I have officially been awake for 39 hours straight. Okay...I did have one little 45 minute cat-nap last night but that is about it. As I said in my previous post, Addie and I are both sick. Addie caught a little bug last weekend, recovered, and then came down with a cold this weekend. Needless to say, she has been one miserable little baby. And now that I have a cold myself, I have been one miserable little mama. But that isn't why I didn't sleep last night. I didn't sleep last night because while I was researching natural ways to alleviate a baby's cold symptoms...I stumbled on to WebMD. I haven't been on WebMD since I banned myself from it a few years ago. As many people know, you can type in symptoms on WebMD and it will generate a list of all the possible illnesses you could be suffering from. No matter what you type in...cancer is always on the list of possibilities. Anyway, after diagnosing myself with two terminal illnesses last year over a headache and a bad case of indigestion...I decided it was best to stay away from that website.
 
But last night, after I typed in some of Addie's cold symptoms, WebMD came up as one of my google hits. I knew they wouldn't have what I was looking for, but I clicked on the damn link anyway. And there it was...a list of all the possible illness Addie could have with the symptoms I typed in (i.e. runny/stuffy nose, watery eyes, little cough, low-grade fever). I saw many common things on the list like a cold, flu, ear infection...but there was one thing on the list that sent me into a panic. Meningitis. I don't know what possessed me to click on the "symptoms of meningitis" link but I did. Idiot. 
 
The first thing I read on the top of the webpage was, "menegitis is often overlooked because the symptoms resemble those of a common cold or flu bug". Nice...JUST what I needed to read. So of course I go on and start reading the symptoms. Fever? Check. Watery eyes? Check. Cold hands and feet with a fever? Ummm......shit....I don't know!!! So I ran in to feel Addie's hands and of course...they were warm. Whew. I knew I should have stopped there but I didn't. I just kept reading and reading and panicking and panicking. I kept running in to check her forehead, her hands, I even busted out a mini flash light to look for any blotches or rashes on her skin. I was in total freak out mode. And as I sat in the kitchen frantically googling everything I could about meningitis....Eric slept peacefully on the couch with Howie. I remember thinking...how can he be sleeping right now? Why isn't he googling with me? Isn't he worried? What a jerk! But then I remembered...he thinks I am just googling cold remedies for babies. He told me I wasn't allowed to go back on WedMD after an unnecessary late night phone call to my OB last year (long story). He would kill me if he knew what I was doing right now. But I couldn't help it! I had myself all worked up. I had already been reassured by my pediatrician...twice...that there was no need to worry. But here I was...worrying myself into a total frenzie. I mean...I have always been a worrier...but this is getting ridiculous! Do all mom's worry like this? Is this what I am going to be doing for the rest of my life...googling cold symptoms and staying awake for 39 straight hours just to make sure that my baby's temp hasn't gone up a tenth of a degree? Is this just part of being a mom? If so...do any of you mamas out there know any good anit-anxiety meds I should taking? 

6 comments:

  1. This Mama is absolutely NO help to you! I didn't have WebMD when you were little but I did have a giant Medical Dictionary that did the trick! Panic mode? Don't know who you would have inherited that from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No help here either. Although I am 3 for 3 on web diagnosing my children I also come across some pretty funky stuff that scares me!

    What I also struggle with is comparing the girls. "Why is Julia doing this and not Ava..." I think at one point I thought Julia had Cerebral Palsy. Ya. I know. Crazy.

    If you find a drug let me know. I need some of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do NOT read WebMd. I once convinced myself I had a brain tumor when I only had a headache. That website is evil!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crap...now I am gonna have to check out WebMD. I have never been on there and like you, I will be FREAKING out I'm sure. I am the same way when it comes to getting super worried about something as small as a cold. I don't think there is any medication that can save us. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, drink a big glass of wine and repeat as necessary... I have only had to have a few sips before I relax just enough to stop worrying INCESSANTLY about anything... webmd is AWFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks girls! Okay...no more WebMD...I promise. Mom, thanks so much for passing this gene along :-) Kelly, I don't know how you do this kind of worrying with TWO baby girls. You are my hero :-) Jenn, I think I had the same brain tumor. Funny how it went away with Advil :-) Mando, don't do it!!! You don't want to go to that site. You will be freaking out!!! But if you do check it out...call me and we can obsess together :-) Kate, you are my girl! Wine is the answer I think. Wanna come over and share some? Love you girls!!!

    ReplyDelete