Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Weekend In the Life of Jen

It's no secret that I tend to have bad luck. Anyone who knows me can probably count at least twenty accidents or other bad luck situations that I have been involved in. In just the past few years I have fallen down a flight of stairs at work, slipped on ice twice, tripped and fell in the mall, scratched my cornea AND broken my toe twice (it makes the shape of a J now. I call it my "J toe"). And these are just accidents that didn't result in ER visits. I have now had 3 of those this year. The first ER visit was in May when I had an allergic reaction to a tanning bed and broke out in head to toe hives. I was tanning for my trip to Florida which ironically was the location of my 2nd ER visit this year. I got a breast infection from a clogged milk duct and spent my second night on vacation in the Ft. Myers Beach hospital. Awesome. I honestly thought my bad luck with traveling and hospitals would end at that point but nope! Turns out 3rd times the charm! 

At 3:30 a.m. on Saturday, the morning of my birthday, I woke up with a terrible back pain. The minute I started to feel nauseous I knew EXACTLY what it was...a kidney stone. I had one 3 years ago and the pain is unforgettable (no...it is not as bad as labor, but pretty damn close). I laid in bed for about 45 minutes praying I was wrong. I mean seriously...a kidney stone...on my birthday? While I was out of town? Sure enough, the pain got worse and I couldn't take it any
more. So I rolled over and woke up my mom (yes...we were sharing a king size bed in a hotel room that looked like it was straight out of The Shining. But that's another story for later in the post). Once she was up she called my Aunt, who was also in town for homecoming, and she came right over. We all hopped in the Envoy and drove straight to Carbondale hospital. I was sure there would be a long wait, what with all the drunks stumbling in to have their stomachs pumped after a long night of boozing, but luckily I got right in. I had to give my date of birth at least 6 times and every time I said "10-11-1980" the nurses and doctors wished me a happy birthday with a "sucks to be you" look on their face. I know...it sucked to be me that morning. But I am trying to look on the bright side. My stone passed through my kidney and made it to my urethra (a.k.a. pee hole) pretty quickly and the pain died down to just an uncomfortable burning. After a little pain medication they were sending me home to tough it out. The stone didn't pass until 1:00 a.m. the next morning. But despite all this drama, I still managed to have a pretty great weekend in Carbondale!

After my ER visit, I went back to the Quality Inn to relax. First of all, let me just say that our hotel was anything but quality. Like I said, the decor looked like something out of a Stephen King novel. I kept waiting for two creepy twins to walk down the hallway chanting "Redrum". It also smelled like a nursing home and I managed to set off the smoke alarm with the 2 watt hair dryer that was built into the wall. Oh, I forgot to mention that when we left for the hospital at 4:00 a.m., there was a kid passed out face down in the hallway. Ahh....only in Carbondale.

So once I was able to get a little R&R, it was off to the game. I am not sure what the weather was like in Chicago while I was gone, but it was about 120 degrees in southern Illinois. We were roasting!! Normally, my friends and I would just cool off with a couple of cold beers. But since my BF Mandy and Kerri and I are mommies now, we had little ones to tend too. Even though the kids look pretty content in this picture, let me just tell you that they were OVER IT! All of us were suppose to live out our glory days and perform the school song with the dance team at half time but when we looked at the scoreboard and realized it was still only the first half, we decided to to bail out. We felt bad about leaving and not performing, but the kids just weren't going to make it. And honestly, neither were the mommies :-) Luckily, Mandy and I got a very cute picture with our kiddies and all the SIU Shakers. It is hard to believe we use to wear outfits like that :-)

After a long morning in the ER and an even longer afternoon in the heat, it was nap time. We all came back to the The Shining Inn and took one. Once we woke up, it was time for a shower and some Quatros pizza (my favorite SIU pizza joint) before heading out for a night on the town. My mom was nice enough to watch Addie while Ryan, Meg, my cousin Jill and I all went to my old hang out. We met some of my dear friends (and fellow bloggers) Mandy, Jeff and Nina. It was so nice to catch up with them and chat about old times. I so wish we all lived closer...it makes me so sad to leave. I promise to be back soon guys! I love ya!!

And while I am on the subject of old friends, I also got to see my old boss (and very dear friend) Jen and my grad school BF Casey. I worked at Pier 1 for 6 years while I was in school and I can honestly say that place was like a second home to me. I really miss my work buddies (and my freaking awesome employee discount) so I had to make sure to stop in and say hello. It was just like old times. The three of us were laughing and making a scene in the store. I just love these girls to pieces :-)

Needless to say, it was a very long, fun, crazy, fabulous weekend in Carbondale and all drama aside, I am SO glad we went. I learned some very important things this weekend that I have to take into consideration before my next road trip. 

1.) Bring extra batteries for the light-up mirror hanging in front of the carseat, especially if it is the ONLY thing that will occupy an antsy baby. That, and track #4 on the Charlie Brown Christmas CD. Don't ask.

2.) When traveling anywhere outside of Will County, be sure to pack insurance card and personal hospital gown.

3.) Never make reservations at a hotel that has a claim like "Quality" or "Comfort" in the title. 

4.) Add 10 degrees to any weather report for southern Illinois and minus 10 for any weather report in northern Illinois.

5.) Be sure to take lots of pictures because trips like these go WAY too fast :-)

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I laughed so hard before I even read what happened. Your face is classic.

    I'm glad to read that you were not in too much pain and were able to enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post! Yes, we had sooo much fun and I realize how much I freakin miss you! I was telling J on the way to Fusion that I could listen to you talk all night because you are so hilarious! Such a blast! I wish I got to see A a little more, but hey, just means we will have to come see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the post! And, it was so good to see you!! We'll have to get together again soon!!
    p.s. You are seriously the only person in America (I think) that looks that good in the hospital ;-) So glad you were all-better by night time! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! What a weekend! I'm so sad i missed it :(

    ReplyDelete