Monday, November 17, 2008

Addie's Advent Calendar

A while back, I posted about how I wanted to start Addie's first Christmas tradition with an advent calendar. I found two adorable calendars online at Pottery Barn Kids and Land of Nod. Both were equally cute for different reasons, but in the end I decided to go with the one from Land of Nod. I was a heartbeat away from ordering it online when my mom asked me to go shopping at Oakbrook one day. I thought it might be a good idea to see it in person anyway so I held off. And boy am I glad we saw it in person. The quality was SOOOO not worth the $69 they were charging. I was so bummed. But since we were there, I thought I would check out the calendar at PBK. Theirs was much better quality, but it was HUGE!! I would seriously need an entire wall to hang this thing and unfortunately, I couldn't think of a place to put it. So I looked at my mom and said "you up for a project?" Like I have said a million times, it's hard for me to buy anything for Addie without thinking "my mom could make this so much better." And she is the same way. Every time I show her something cute she says "you know...I could knit that" or "you know...I could find a pattern and sew that". I knew this calendar would be no exception. But I was worried about her taking on this project because...well...she over does things just like my dad. I say I just want something simple that isn't too much work. But I should know better with her. 

I was surprised when my mom hadn't called me all day yesterday. For those of you who don't know me, my mom and I talk about 6 times a day. So to go an entire morning and afternoon without a phone call was very strange. So when I finally called her around dinner time, I asked what she was doing. She said "sewing" with a giggle. I knew she was working on the advent calendar and I knew she had been working on it all day. Sure enough...I get on her blog this morning and there it is. The most perfect, adorable, special advent calendar I could have ever imagined. It is the perfect size, it has nice big pockets for gifts and the best part...it was made by Grammy which makes it even more special for Addie's first Christmas. Thanks so much for making this mama!!! I can't wait to get it from you and hang it up in the house. We love you!!!  

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! You are so lucky to have such awesome parents Jen! And Addie is so lucky to have grandparents that care so much. This makes me want to run out and get Brecken one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO SWEET!!! Love it love it love it!! How many can say they have their Christmas traditions wrapped with someone they love? An advent calendar from Grammy and she will hang her stocking on the fireplace from Grandpa... what a special thing...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love advent calendars. Sweet! Come check out my post today. Addie needs some of the cute outfits featured. One of the dresses I show was only $9.99....oh, yes...the one I bought for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Jan! Hey, Parker needs one of these...hint hint! I wish I could sew that good!

    ReplyDelete