Saturday, November 15, 2008

I'm Officially Getting Old

When I was in college, I could wake up at 6:30 a.m., go teach an English 101 class, come home for lunch, run back to campus and take my own grad classes all afternoon, drive straight to Pier 1 for an evening shift, come home, change, do a little homework and then go out for drinks with the girls. How the hell did I have the energy for all that? Today I was up at 6:00 a.m. with Addie before I had to go teach my class at the college. I got home around 11:00 and felt like I had run a marathon. I don't know why...it's not like getting up at 6:00 is a big deal anymore since that is when Addie prefers to start her morning EVERY day. But I was exhausted and since Eric and I had a wedding to go to tonight, I thought it was a good idea to rest a bit while Addie was napping. 

So I did. I took it easy this afternoon. I didn't clean, grade papers, do laundry, etc. I wanted to have some energy for my first night out with Eric in a long time. I got all dressed up and even put on my cute little cocktail ring that I bought a year ago and have never worn because ... well ...it's too dressy for Target. So when we got in the car tonight I was pretty excited. I couldn't remember the last time I was dressed up with somewhere fun to go. I even told Eric I was going to go all out and have TWO glasses of wine tonight, which of course made him give me the "oh baby" eyes. Needless to say we were both excited to go out tonight.

The wedding was a lot of fun. We did the usual: stood in line for 15 minutes waiting for a drink, shook our asses on the dance floor to "Baby Got Back," listened to an embarrassing Maid of Honor speech (poor thing) and ate some cake. And then we looked at the clock. Judging by how tired I was, I was sure it was midnight but nope. It was 8:45. Seriously. I whispered to Eric that I was already tired but I would stick it out a little longer if he wanted to. I was sure he was going to tell me that he wanted to stay at least another hour but instead, he looked at me with relief and said "I'll get your coat". So we said our goodbyes, grabbed another piece of cake for the road, and now here we are...laying on the couch at 10:30 (it was an hour drive). Is that sad? Are we officially getting old? Are we just a hop skip and a year away from the early bird special at Denny's? If so...I'll take a Moons Over MiHami please!

No comments:

Post a Comment