Sunday, February 1, 2009

Vera Bradley...Eat Your Heart Out

I am not sure how many of you know this from reading my mom's blog, but about two weeks ago, she was laid off from her job. It was a HUGE shock and totally unexpected. She found out the week she got her biopsy results. It was like "Hey...the good news is you don't have cancer...but the bad news is that you don't have a job either!" Poor thing. A lot of people have asked how she is doing and wondered if she was devastated by the news. I guess in this economy, most people are devastated by that type of news. And if my mom hadn't contemplated quitting a long time ago to start her own business, I am sure she would have been a little sad. But she is the opposite of sad. In fact...she is thrilled!! She has wanted to start her own sewing business for as long as I can remember and now she finally has the opportunity!!!

The day she got sent home with her "pink slip", we sat down and started talking about what we would do for her business. She knew she wanted to start slow and work her way up to her own website. We both knew that the perfect place to start would be Etsy. So...for the past two weeks...she has been sewing like a mad woman. She is trying to build up some stock before she launches her Etsy site. I cannot believe how much cute stuff she has already made. And that isn't even half of it!!! She has at least another weeks worth of sewing to do before she launches her site, but because I am just too excited to wait, I thought I would share a sneak peak of her new products. 

The pics below are of my favorite item so far...The Perfect Planner. I have used Franklin Covey planners for years and even though I love them...they were never organized quite the way I wanted. I have tried hundreds of different planners and none of them were just right. So one day, my mom came over with a fabric planner and said "Here...I sewed in extra card slots, gave you 4 pockets for coupons, put a zipper pocket on the back for receipts and added a pen holder. Viola!" You know...like it was no big deal that she just whipped up the perfect planner in about an hour. Anyway, TONS of my friends and family members have sent e-mails requesting  a planner so she made sure to add plenty to her inventory.

So there you have it! A sneak peak of what's to come from Janlyn Designs (or whatever she decides to name her company). I will be sure to post  her Etsy link as soon as her site is up and running. But in the mean time, be sure to check out her blog and look at some of her other fabulous items like the notebook cover and checkbook holder. Leave her a comment if you want one on preorder :-) Happy looking!




2 comments:

  1. OMG.. can't wait to be one of her BEST customers! The planner is PERFECT! I will be adding her to my blog list FOR SURE to keep myself updated... also for the advent calendar... hope she plans on selling some of those! Can't WAIT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! I am excited to be starting my business! I just wish I could sew faster! Lots of good things planned!

    ReplyDelete