Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Boo for Shots!

Today was Addie's 12 month pedi appointment! My little peanut weighed in at 22 1/2 pounds and measured 31 1/2 inches. She is in the 97th percentile for height so I think it is safe to say that she will be tall like her mommy and daddy. And while I did enjoy the weigh-in portion of the appointment, I am afraid that was the ONLY portion I enjoyed. 

After the nurse took her height and weight, she started asking me some developmental questions. Our conversation went a little like this...

Nurse: Does your daughter drink from a sippy cup yet?
Me: Yes
Nurse: Is she walking?
Me: Yes...she just started
Nurse: Oh...late walker. That's okay! She will be cruising soon.
Me: {Thinking to myself} Late walker? She is only 12 months! 
Nurse: Is she crawling up stairs?
Me: Umm...no...well...we don't have any stairs in our house except basement stairs so she doesn't really get any practice.
Nurse: Oh thats good.
Me: ?
Nurse: Is your daughter stacking blocks and scribbling?
Me: Ummm...she likes playing with blocks? I haven't given her any crayons yet because she just puts them in her mouth.

At this point, I am starting to think "Oh shit....is my daughter behind? Should I have been teaching her to stack blocks? Should she be learning how to climb stairs? Is she suppose to be coloring??????" At this point, the nurse must see my confusion and says...

Nurse: So I take it she isn't speaking at least 6-7 words.
Me: No...should she be? She can say mama, dada, and hi. Is that enough for now?
Nurse: Wait...how old is your daughter?

She then looks at my chart and realizes she is looking at the developmental sheet for 18 months. WHEW!!!

So after a little mini panic attack, the nurse leaves and we wait for the doctor. And we wait. And wait. And wait. All the while, Addie is getting more tired and hungry and I know that after we meet with the doc, we are going to have to get shots!! I am already breaking out in a cold sweat.

About a half hour later, the doc comes in...checks things out...tells me that peanut looks GREAT...and then sends in the nurse for the shots. 15 minutes of screaming and crying later, we are in the car on our way home. Thanks to the new DVD player in my SUV and the dose of Tylenol she got on the way out of the doctors office...we had a nice peaceful drive home. We brought her in the house, put her down for a nice 2 hour nap and then at 1:30 when she woke up....devil baby came to play.

I have never seen Addie more crabby and clingy. I was doing everything I could to keep her happy. I put her back in a sleeper (because she loves them) and I broke out her play tunnel. It seemed to be the only thing keeping her happy today. Well...that and the Gerber banana cookies that she is addicted too. Hey...whatever works. All I can say is BOO for shots!! 




And this is where the pictures stop because clingy baby crawled on my lap at this point and wanted to be held...for the next 3 hours. Hopefully angel baby will be back tomorrow :-)

3 comments:

  1. Aww..poor baby! I hate the shots too! If it helps any, she looks like a little angel playing in her tunnel. She's a cutie. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH NO! I had to giggle when I was reading your post because I had a feeling that was the way it was heading...hehehe...She IS right on track and a beautiful little girl! Your a great mommie Jen, no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Addie! I hate the shots. Jeff always has to be with me cause I can't handle it on my own. And that nurse doing that to you! I might have ripped her a new one!

    How long did it take Addie to catch on to using a sippy? Soph just likes playing with her Born Free Sippy but drinks from her Avent Magic Cup. And if we help her, she drinks from an actual cup. No walking for us yet!

    ReplyDelete