Friday, March 13, 2009

New Recipes for Favorite Foods

When Addie first started eating solid foods, she wasn't left with a lot of choices. She got pureed fruits, veggies and some cereals. She seemed pretty content with that and I was happy because I didn't have to think too hard about what I was going to feed her. But now that she is a toddler and can eat real meals and snacks every day, I am faced with the challenge of getting her to eat a variety of healthy foods. 

I guess I am pretty lucky though because Addison isn't a picky eater...yet. She loves avocado, broccoli, carrots, all fruit, yogurt, turkey...pretty much whatever I put in front of her. And I should be taking advantage of this and offering her more variety. However, I am totally guilty of feeding Addie the same things over and over again. I know a lot of that has to do with convenience, but I also know it has to do with likability. For example, Addison loves bananas. She will eat a whole banana with her breakfast every morning and so that's what I usually give her. I cut it into chunks and put it on her tray. Addie also loves turkey lunch meat, cheese chunks and seasoned broccoli and carrots. So...I pretty much give her all of these things at some point each day too. And I don't really want to change her diet, because she is getting lots of fruit, veggies, dairy, etc. BUT she is getting it the same way every day. So, I broke out some of the baby/toddler cook books I posted about a while back, and I found some new ways to give Addie her favorites. Here are some of the recipes we are trying today...

For the Banana Lover...

Going Bananas (6-9 months & up)

1 tsp butter
1 small banana, peeled and sliced
a pinch of powdered cinnamon
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice

Melt the butter in a small skillet. Stir in the sliced banana, sprinkle with cinnamon and saute for 2 minutes. Pour in the orange juice and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Leave chunky or mash with a fork. Goes great with vanilla ice cream :-)

For the Veggie & Pasta Lover...

Orzo with Colorful Diced Vegetables (12-18 months & up)

1/4 lb Orzo pasta (or any other soup pasta)
1/2 cup carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 cup zucchini, diced
2/3 cup broccoli, diced
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup freshly grated cheddar or parmesan cheese

Put the pasta in a saucepan together with the diced veggies. Cover with enough boiling water to cover the pasta and veggies generously and cook for about 12 minutes, or until all the veggies are tender. Drain thoroughly. Melt the butter in a large pan, stir in the drained pasta and veggies, and remove from the heat. Add the grated cheese and toss until the cheese is melted. You could also add chicken chunks to this meal :-)
* Recipe from First Meals

For the Dessert Lover...

Homemade Fruit Gelatin (9 months & Up)

2 1/2 cups fruit juice
1 sachet powdered gelatin (I used Knox brand)
2 tablespoons superfine sugar
1 cup fresh fruit

Place half of the juice in a small saucepan and heat until at boiling point. Remove form heat and stir in gelatin and sugar until dissolved. Pour this into the remaining cold juice and then pour into serving dish and stir in fruit chunks. Refrigerate until set. Add whip cream for an extra treat :-)
{I have tried this recipe with many fruit juice/fruit chunk combinations and the one that turns out the best is apple or peach juice and raspberries. The combination is sweet enough without the added sugar. In fact, most of the combinations I have tried are sweet enough without the 2 tbsp of sugar. Just a thought if you are wanting to avoid added sugar in your child's diet}

Well there you go! A few new recipes that you might want to try at home this week. So far Addie has had the gelatin and the fried bananas and she loved both! We are having the orzo and veggies for dinner so I will be sure to let you know what she thinks. If you have any great recipes that your kids can't get enough of, I would love for you to share them.

2 comments:

  1. These are great recipes... thanks for posting them, Jen! I have the Meal Planner book, too, but often feel too rushed to think of making a special recipe for each meal. I agree; it was much easier when everything was pureed! But I'm learning... I like to make omelettes for lunch now, with mushrooms and veggies and cheese. Eliana loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the ideas! Lucky you that Addie is such a good eater...Emma is ridiculously picky (I guess payback to me and Justin...we're pretty bad too)! She won't eat bananas or any other fruit, unless it's Gerber's stage 2! Her favorite foods right now are bread and cheese! No wonder she's so constipated!

    ReplyDelete