Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Who Takes Care of Mommy?

I can honestly say that I have always wanted to be a mommy. Even when I was fresh out of college and loving my single life, I always thought about the day when I would settle down and start a family. I mean...I had the perfect mommy qualities. I was protective, sensitive, nurturing, loving, caring...and according to my brothers...anal, controlling and opinionated :-) But hey, that's what good moms are right? 

So when my parents gave me Howie, I was able to practice all of these mommy skills. I fed him, bathed him, played with him, bought him new clothes, etc. I took care of him when he was sick (and one time...Howie was VERY sick. The vets told us he might not make it through the night. But I knew better...I knew my little guy would make it and he did! Now he is a happy little porkie yorkie). Having Howie definitely taught me how to be responsible and care for someone other than myself. 

So when Eric and I got together, I jumped right into my role. I fed him, bathed him, played with him, bought him new clothes (and sent his 1980s bomber jacket to Goodwill), etc. I took care of him when he was sick and got him his "extra extra cold water in a tall glass" every time he didn't feel good. I learned to cook raw meat for him, I taught him how to use the computer (he had never been on the Internet before) AND I ran errands to Gander Mountain for him. I was learning how to be a good wife and I knew this would help me become an even better mom.

So when Addie arrived, I was more than ready. I fed her, bathed her, played with her, bought her new clothes (way too many), etc. I took care of her when she was sick and slept in a miniature hospital bed without showering for two days when she had to stay over night in the hospital with her UTI. I always put her first, just as I should, and I will continue to do that every day of my life. She is my baby girl and that is my job...to take care of her, Eric and Mr. Howard.

But what I want to know is...who takes care of Mommy? For two weeks, I haven't been feeling the best so today I went to the doc and it turns out I have a bladder infection. BOO! I have felt sort of yucky all day and my antibiotics are making my tummy upset. But instead of whining about it, I sucked it up and did my nightly duties. I fed Addie, bathed her, put her to bed, fed myself, fed Eric...and now I am on the couch counting the minutes until I go to bed. Its nights like this when I miss living at home. If I were there, my mom would make me some soup (or a freaking huge ice cream sundae) and my dad would put on one of my favorite movies. I would get to lay on the couch all night and have someone else take care of me. Even though there are days that I miss that, I wouldn't trade being a mom for anything.

{ UPDATE: Either Eric just read this over my shoulder or he finally realized that I wasn't feeling good because he just brought me an ice cream sandwich and offered to rub my feet. Now that's what I am talking about!!! Now if only he would let me watch re-runs of Sex and the City instead of re-runs of Ducks Unlimited. Oh well...2 out of 3 isn't bad :-)}

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even when you're a mom or dad yourself, you will sometimes remember what it was like to have mom or dad take care of you when you're not well and then you will realize, that is what moms and dads do. Always there to love and care for their kids. Your parents are always there to help and care for you.
    Hope you feel better sweetie,
    Love always, dad

    March 17, 2009 8:17 PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jen~I hope you feel better soon honey! I had no idea you were feeling icky for two weeks. And your dad is right, they are always there to care for you, even when you are a mommy yourself :) I remember one specific night when I was in the deep hell of PPD and my dad layed by me on the couch and rubbed my feet while I sobbed...They will ALWAYS be there, AlWAYS!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen! I hope you start feeling better so soon! I am looking forward to a play date soon! (well I hope!!) Take care friend!

    ReplyDelete