Monday, April 6, 2009

All Moms Need a Wife

Today, Oprah's show was all about motherhood and I couldn't help but tune in because I heard that Amy Nobile and Trisha Ashworth were going to be on talking about their new book, I'd Trade my Husband for a Housekeeper.


These ladies also wrote one of my favorite books, I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids (which I reviewed and posted about here). I have not read their new book yet, but I honestly can't wait to pick up a copy! These ladies are awesome (and totally gorgeous) in person. I really wish Oprah would have let them talk more (she has a tendency to interrupt and cut people off mid-sentence which drives me nuts) but instead, she had Cheryl Hines on to talk about her new show In The Motherhood.


Okay, I LOVE Cheryl Hines and Megan Mullally so I had very high hopes for this show. I thought it would be a lot like all of the funny mommy books I have read lately and show the truth behind motherhood. And while the show did give me a few chuckles here and there...I have to be honest...I was REALLY disappointed!! For one thing, all the roles are SOOO stereotypical! They show the frazzled working mom who relies fully on a manny (yes MANny) to take care of her baby. They also show the uptight, anally perfect stay-at-home mom and the wild, crazy friend who is there to mix things up. I can see how all of this might be entertaining to some, but I thought they were going to show more of the truth! I mean...show the stay-at-home mom in her sweat pants running around chasing the kids through her partially-cleaned house. Don't show her perfectly manicured nails, perfectly dressed kids and spotless mansion. Show the working mom cussing people out in traffic because she is trying to get home to see her kids for the few hours she actually gets a night. Don't show the working mom staying late at work so she can bang a coworker or sitting at her friends house downing a bottle of wine instead of putting her baby to bed. I don't know...I just thought this show would break away from stereotypes because that is when motherhood gets REALLY funny. Was anyone else totally disappointed in this show? Or do you all think I should give it another chance? Maybe ABC should have asked Amy Nobile and Trisha Ashworth to write the script :-)

Anyway, aside from being disappointed that I didn't get to hear more from my favorite authors, I thought today's episode was a lot of fun. I especially loved when Oprah said that the reason so many mom's feel overwhelmed is because "All Mom's need a wife." SO TRUE!!! Many moms also said that blogging has become their outlet and I have to agree 100% with that. I mean...why do you think I blog daily?

7 comments:

  1. Wow...maybe I'll have to skip that show...I'd be disappointed too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you about the show. I was very disappointed. The last show really bothered me when they decided to take a "stay"cation because of the economy, but went to Hawaii anyways. Like that would happen!

    I'm on the west coast and have my TiVo ready to record Oprah today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of those books. I am not a mom yet but will have to check them out - they sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the Motherhood used to be clips on the internet starring chelsea handler, jenny mcCarthy, and the lasy from kning of queens. The series was hilarious!!! I am sure you can probably still find it on the internet. I think it was through msn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the show. I was pretty dissapointed and thought it was unrealistic. Maybe you should write a TV show from your own motherly experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had such high hopes for that show too...SO disappointing! Those books look great :) Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was inspired by the 'Every Mom Needs a Wife" comment and started a blog to explore the enormous truth in that statement :-)

    Come visit - if you or your friends have stories you want to share, just send them my way - happy to post them. The more we share, the better!

    www.everymomneedsawife.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete