Monday, April 20, 2009

What I Wouldn't Give...

For someone to tuck me into a cozy crib and let me drift to sleep for 2-3 hours in the middle of the day. No dishes, no cleaning, no laundry to fold, no bills to pay, no writing to finish, no papers to grade...just peace and quiet in my own little bed. Ahhh....what I wouldn't give.

Addison, on the other hand, would rather spend nap time playing in her tent, chasing Howie, eating Cheerios off the floor, clinging to my leg...you name it. Anything but sleeping. It's funny, when she was just a little newborn at this time last year, I remember thinking "Wow...being a mommy is so much work." I could almost pee my pants with laughter when I think about how good I had it those first few months. I mean, I wasn't sleeping much at night, but I also got to take about 3 naps a day with peanut on my chest. 

 
And because I was a "New Mom," I got off the hook on a lot of other responsibilities. But now that I am a so-called "pro" at this (or at least I should be), I am out of excuses...and naps. I just wish I could make naps as appealing to Addie as they are to me. She already has her favorite stuffed animals and blankie in there AND I had my mom make her room darkening drapes. As much as I hate to admit it...I think Addie is down to just one nap (sniff) so I need that nap to be longer than 45 minutes (yes...that is how long her naps have been for the past few days). I know she is teething right now too, but I still feel like there has to be something I can do to help her sleep better during the day. Does anyone out there have any great nap strategies? Tricks? Drugs they use (just kidding)....or maybe not?

7 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. The past week Sophia has only been taking one nap a day and only for about 40-50 minutes...The child stays up for nearly 9 hours straight after that nap..it's insane. I'm hoping this is just a phase and that she isn't trying to drop a nap. Sorry, I have no tips...Like you I've got the darkening shades and the stuffed animal and blankie...but if they don't want to sleep, they don't want to sleep..what can you do?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexander went through that phase right before he switched to one long nap during mid day. It's a tougher adjustment on Mommy! We decided to let him stay in his room for an hour playing and if he hadn't fallen asleep, we let go of the nap that day. And hope for an early bedtime. Good luck - let's hope it's just a phase for Addie because of the teething.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! You make me feel SO much better! I mean, I know this is normal, but it was a rough week last week and i am hoping that the tooth pops through and that we can get her on a regular one nap schedule. I was just doing some reading (of course) and it does say that the transition to one nap can be a rocky road, but that once it is in place, babies tend to start sleeping for longer periods of time. It also says that consistency is the key. Guess I just need to be better about that too :-) Wow...mama needs some coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss those days of lazy afternoon naps with Carter sound asleep on my chest...I loved those times! Now, he is outgrowing his nap completely and I am trying to hang on for dear life to it! Over the weekend I was able to get a nap in each day while my husband played with Carter who was not tired at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle - I can't believe Carter is already outgrowing a nap all together. AHH!!! But at least you have another little on one the way and if Daddy is home to help, maybe you can get some of those lazy day naps back with your new little peanut :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, I meant to ask..have you tried laying down with her (like next to her crib?)? Sometimes that works with Sophia and then as soon as she's asleep I get up and get stuff done. Also, sometimes I find that if I stay with her for a minute and rub her back, it calms her to sleep. Just a though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha...I just walked out of Sean's room after trying so hard to get him to sleep and nothing working...then decided to try the cry out method...so as he is crying in the next room (only has been 2 mins)I click on your blog and read this! Just wanted to let you know your NOT alone! I too am reminiscing about the good ol' days...haha!

    ReplyDelete