Thursday, May 21, 2009

Capris vs. Bermudas

When I was pregnant with Addie, I made the transition to maternity pants around 12 weeks. It wasn't that I necessarily needed them at that point, but they were just so damn comfortable! Well, this time around, I think I am actually going to need maternity pants by 12 weeks. No joke. So I started looking around for capris because that is pretty much all I wear during the summer. I don't do shorts unless I have to because my thighs are...well...a little meaty.

But what I have come to discover during this little search is that no one wears capris anymore. Apparently EVERYONE is wearing Bermudas.


When did this happen? When did Bermudas replace capris? I guess they are a pretty smart concept for meaty-thighed women like me. I mean, they are shorter than capris but long enough to cover all those not-so-cute areas. But are these really cute on? I can't say I have seen anyone wear Bermudas (except some of the size 2 teeny bops in Hollywood) so I wonder how they look on curvy women. So I ask...do any of you J-Lo look-a-likes out their own a pair of Bermudas? Do you love them or hate them?

I suppose if Bermudas don't end up being the right fit for me, I could say screw my meaty thighs and let them hang out in a pair of these.


Oh...you didn't know they made maternity daisy dukes? Well it's your lucky day! I know what Jessica Simpson will be wearing when she finally gets knocked up :-)

12 comments:

  1. First of all Jen.. you are far from being a "curvy" woman... Second of all... I love bermuda's and pedal pushers. But both are the length of capri's on a normal person. Capri's are ankle pants for me. You will look fine in either of them! Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen...my thighs used to be muscular from gymnastics and cheerleading, but over the last few years...they have definitely fallen into the "meaty" category. And I definitely do not think you are in that category at all. About the Bermudas...I have a few from Old Navy that I never wear...I feel like the draw even more attention to the "meaty" area. I love capris...let me know if you find any! And by the way, your blog has not become boring...sometimes I can't get yours at night..the internet won't let me. Well, it's working now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own 5 or 6 pairs of bermudas. I think they are WAY better then capris. Capris cut you off mid calf and can actually make your hips and ass look bigger then they are because of where they fall on the leg. Just my opinion though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a pair of plaid maternity bermuda's and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered breaking them out to wear this summer. Is that bad??

    ...and yea, where have all the capri's gone?? They're my favorite too!

    I'm sure you'll look fabulous in any of the choices--because you always look ahhh-dorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! almost forgot. You are most certainly not boring, promise!!

    I think it's the rapidly approaching summer... really slows down the blogging community, no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. NOT BORING!! I have just become way more busy and selfish with summer coming...I read your blog EVERYDAY!!! I will be better at this preggo mommy ok...hehehe..I thinks it's your hormones :)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Bermudas. Some of the carpi pants seem too long and then I think they just look funny. Give them and try! I wish I had the body to sport dasiy dukes, but I don't and especially NOT when I was pregnant...crazy, just crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny - I seriously doubt you have meaty thighs!! In all your pictures, you look fabulous!!! As for capris - check out Old Navy or A Pea in the Pod (a bit more pricy, but...). And with all the low rise styles, you should be able to find something you can wear comfortably under your belly. By the time I was expecting #4, I never wore maternity clothes my entire pregnancy :) btw - where are these pictures from? They look REALLY uncomfortable?!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I have definitely been slacking in the comment department lately. Ever since the storm I have struggled even posting on my own blog!! SAD!

    The bermuda's are very cute!! I have a few pair and I really love them!! Way better than daisy dukes! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It cracks me up that you call your thighs "meaty" and I highly doubt they are! I love bermudas. I feel kindof trendy, and yet all covered up and comfy. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi...new to your blog:) I just bought my second pair of Bermuda's today:) I am in love!! I, like you, am not a shorts person. When I wore my bathing suit last week, I noticed that the bottom half of my body was so pale compared to my arms and face (which those are a far cry from tan as well). The bermuda's at least allow a little more sun to get to your legs. I also noticed that just those couple of inches missing off the bottom of my pants really made it feel so much cooler out than the normal 200 degree weather we have here in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. While you aren't meaty and bermudas are super cute, here's an idea if you really want capri pants. Cut off an old pair of sweats at a capri lenghth and woala, you have capris! I've done it to several pairs (bonus to being a PE teacher is I have several pairs to cut up) and they are perfect for lounging around in all summer. Of course, you still might find a few pairs on ebay if you have the patience to look. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete