Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Book Review: Mommywood by Tori Spelling

As promised, I finished reading Mommywood by Tori Spelling this week and I thought I would give you a quick little review.



Let me start by saying that this book is a really fun read. Tori Spelling has a great sense of humor and I love that she can laugh at herself. She isn't perfect, and doesn't claim to be, which is another great part about this book. You don't feel like she is trying to put on a front that she "knows it all" when it comes to motherhood. In fact, I think she would be the first to admit that she knows very little, but what she does know, she has learned from her father, friends, husband and herself. Notice how I didn't mention her mother? 

This is perhaps the only thing I wasn't that crazy about in the book. If you read Tori's first book, sTORI Telling, you would know that her and her mother don't exactly get along. Actually, you probably didn't need to read her first book to know that because it is all over the tabloids. But in any case, Tori once again discusses all the ways her mother failed throughout her life. And you know, I don't blame her for being bitter. It is difficult to talk about your own experiences as a mother without bringing up your own. But I felt like a lot of really wonderful and funny chapters got bogged down with sad, "here is how my mom sucked again" stories. Again, I don't think it was wrong of her to include some of this in the book, especially since her one goal as a mother is to be the mother she never had. So you really can't get that point across without addressing why you feel that way. I just thought she could have toned it down a bit and stuck to some of her funnier stories like Stella's "poop in the puss" story. Hilarious!

Despite the mom-hate overload, I do think the book is worth buying and reading. It's not that Tori has anything new to say about motherhood. We all experience the same things (i.e. poop in the pool, tantrums, pressure to lose baby weight, etc.) But what makes this book unique is her spin on motherhood in Hollywood (hence her title Mommywood). When all of us non-Hollywood mothers feel less than cute from the baby weight we can't shed, we just avoid the camera for a few months. But in Hollywood, that is not an option. If you still have baby weight, the tabloids write about you being a fat-ass. Then if you shed the baby weight quickly (like they expect you too) you are considered anorexic. There seems to be a lot of added pressure to being the perfect mother when all eyes are on you. But then again, even though I am not a celebrity and don't live in Hollywood, I still feel like all eyes are on me too. I worry if I am handling one of Addie's tantrums in Target the way other mom's around me would deem acceptable. I worry that someone will see the pile of goldfish crackers that fall out of my stroller every time I open it. I worry that people will judge me for being pregnant again before Addie is 2-years-old. The list could go on and on. So even though most of us don't live in "Mommywood", I think we can all relate to the pressures of motherhood. So...if you are looking for a good laugh and a little celebrity gossip, I highly recommend checking this book out.

4 comments:

  1. I've heard a few people say this book was delightful! I'll have to put it on my must-reads list!

    Thanks for the review! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love their show on Oxygen. I watch it every week. I think all the pervert-ish comments her husband makes towards her are kinda funny & he reminds me a little of my own husband. Why are all men hornballs 24/7?? But, he also gets on my nerves sometimes too...as does my RL husband ;) Haha. I love Tori as a mother & I think her kids are so adorable, but damn her for being so thin after 2 kids! That is all I have to say about that.
    Bon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this. I think it is going to be my next book. I just loved Storitelling

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book too! Great review Jen!

    ReplyDelete