Thursday, July 9, 2009

I Swear...She is NOT a Boy!

Two times in the past week, Eric has had to explain to someone that Addison is actually a girl.  WTF? I know my poor girl doesn't have much hair yet, but I am pretty sure I dress her as girlie as possible. AND...I honestly think she looks and acts like a girl. She has pretty long eye lashes, she is long and skinny, has a high little voice, etc.

So the first incident took place at a restaurant. Just for the record, she was wearing a navy blue t-shirt with pink and yellow butterflies, a pair of denim capris, and a brown pair of sandals with pink and yellow flowers. Pretty girlie in my opinion. But regardless of her outfit, the waitress asked how old the "little boy" was. Eric had to correct her. Nice.

The second incident happened at Eric's work today. He has a slideshow of a few pics of Addie on his laptop. These are the pictures the guy saw...




Okay, I am not saying there is anything wrong with dressing little boys in pink, letting them wear little girl's bathing suits, or Mardi Gras beads...but really...how often do you see it? I mean, for God's sake, she is wearing a pink hoodie, a necklace AND a hair clip in the first picture!! How in the hell could you make the assumption that she is a boy? Well...one guy did. After walking past Eric's desk and looking at his laptop, a colleague said, "so how old is your son?" Really? I mean...did you not notice the clothes? Did you not notice the skirted, pink and white stripe bathing suit? The hair clip? The puff-sleeve t-shirt? I guess men don't always pick up on that stuff, but I was a little shocked when Eric told me this. I think I might have to start dressing her in head-to-toe pink and super glue a big ass bow on her head whenever we visit Eric's work or Front Street Cantina.

Anyone else's kid get mistaken for the wrong sex even though they were OBVIOUSLY dressed for the right sex?

11 comments:

  1. What?! She totally looks like a little girl!! Duh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma was in all pink when she was a newborn (not kidding) in the shopping cart at Meijer and a woman said, "So cute! Is it a boy or a girl?" WTF? And she was a woman! And once she had denim overalls on, she was 3 months or so...and pink socks and the overall had flowers on them, same thing! People need to pay attention better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were obviously not paying attention. She totally looks like a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Sean was a few months old wearing a blue onsie with footballs, baseballs, basketballs, and soccer balls all over it...wraped in a football blanket...a lady at the store said "aww SHE is cute"....wtf! People just dont pay attention...Addie is sooo obviously a girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Addie looks cute and girly. People can just be dumb. But it has happened a couple times to us too. Maybe Liam is pretty? Lol. I think it might be because he looks a little like me so people assume, regardless of what he might be wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHA...yeah we get that all the time with Brecken too! One day in Target I had him in an all navy blue running suit and little tennies and a woman said "oh she is so adorable" and I said "Oh yes HE is isn't he?" hahhaha...A bit snarky, but seriously people! AHHH!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! We've had the exact same thing happen with Eliana! My favorite was when we were in the grocery store and an elderly gentleman said, "Oh, what a cute little guy! How are you, little fella?" And his wife elbowed him in the ribs and said, "Honey, she's clearly a GIRL... can't you see the pink shoes?!?" It was pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen,

    Just to reiterate what everyone else has said, Addie clearly looks like a girl. She is always dressed so cute in the pics that you post, it's crazy to think someone could think she's a he. I've had the same thing happen with Zach in some stores when he is wearing a yellow shirt. I guess people just respond without thinking, or maybe bacause they have a girl or a boy so they just assume any baby is the same sex as their baby/grandchild. (Sort of like when you see someone else's pet and refer to them as a he/she because your pet is one sex) Ok...that sounded a little like I was comparing our children to pets, which I'm not, but hopefully you get the point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had the same problem until Elizabeth was almost 2.5! Even with her hair in pig tails, little old women would still ask how old my son was or refer to her as a him. I finally got a shirt that says " 100% Girlie Girl!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. She definitely looks like a little girly girl! Those people are crazy for calling her a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely think that it is an issue of people not paying attention more so than you not dressing her like a girl! Addie actually reminds me of myself when I was a tot, not so much hair, long and lanky... In fact, I didn't get hair until I was like three? Still, in my very first preschool pics my mom had my hair permed and ratted to the max... just to be sure that people knew I was a girl (as if my striped dress didn't give it away.) I also agree with Amy... Sometimes people just have something stuck in their head. Kinda like my Grandma always calling me my cousin's name? Or people always calling my dog a girl? WTF!?

    Also, I saw on Christina's blog that people were calling Camden a girl... Um, he's clearly all boy and is always dressed in blue or green!?

    No worries girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete