Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Our Love Story...3 Years in the Making

Instead of writing another sappy love post to my hubby on our anniversary this year, I thought I would just share our love story with all of you instead :-) I have really enjoyed reading some of my other blogger friends' love stories and I thought I would steal the idea. So...let's start from the beginning shall we?

When I graduated with my Masters and moved home from college in 2004, I had made the decision to start my single-girl life. I bought my first townhouse, found a fun job in the city and spent most of my nights and weekends with friends and family. I was livin' the life! And speaking of friends, one night while I was out on the town, I ran into my old BF Dana! As you all know, Dana and I have been friends since kindergarten so I have known Dana, Eric and their family for as long as I can remember. Anyway, after catching up for a while, she learned I was single and screamed with excitement. I was a little confused because most times the word "single" gets an "aww...poor thing." But Dana had another agenda. She had a single brother that she was SURE I would be perfect for. I hadn't seen Eric in almost 10 years but I always remembered him being pretty cute. Problem was, I had just come out of a pretty serious relationship and wasn't really looking for another one right now. I didn't turn her down exactly, but we also didn't make any concrete plans.

A few months later, Dana and I ran into each other again and she immediately brought up Eric. We sat for a while reminiscing about our junior high days and I shared my two fondest memories of Eric. First, I remembered how Eric had this huge fish tank in his bedroom and how he would let Dana and I come in and watch him feed the fish when I would spend the night. Second, I remembered being 13 and wanting to go to Sunny's for some ice cream and Eric volunteered to take Dana and I in his car. I got to sit up front :-) Eric was "too cool" to hang out with Dana and I all the time so we didn't spend much time with him when we were kids. But...those are the two things I remembered most about him. Well those...and the fact that he was cute :-)

So after an hour of serious convincing, I agreed to meet up with Eric sometime. Dana and I tried to make this little impromptu date happen for several months but our busy schedules got in the way quite a bit and I eventually gave up on the idea. Well, that was until Dana's bridal shower.

It just so happened that Eric was there to help "set up decorations" and we finally had our big reunion. He was even cuter than I remembered :-)

From that day on, Eric and I were inseparable. We both spent a lot of time commuting for work so whenever we were in the car or on the train, we would call each other and chat. We also spent all of our free time together at night and on the weekends. I was smitten...and so was he :-) Our family started noticing this and the big joke was "So when are you two getting married?" Well...it didn't help matters that I caught the bouquet and Eric caught the garter at Dana and Kevin's wedding :-)


And marriage wasn't out of the question for Eric and I, even after only a few months of dating. But we had some things to work out. We both worked insane hours and it was hard to find time to see each other. We also lived in two separate homes and led two separate lives. But, we both knew we wanted to be together and we decided to find a way to make it all work. Luckily, I landed my dream job at a college much closer than the city so my 15 hour work days were long gone. And a few months later...Eric asked me to move in :-)


I accepted, of course, under one condition...that he make friends with Howie.


Done and done :-) Those two became buddies pretty fast and I knew moving in was the right decision. So after 6 months of dating...Eric and I shared our first house. I know everyone has their own opinion about whether or not a couple should live together before marriage and while I am not saying that one way is better than the other, I can say from experience that living with someone is a sure-fire way to learn if they are the right person for you. You learn A LOT about someone when you live with them and aside from Eric's home-improvement phobia and clothes-can't-seem-to-make-it-to-the-hamper syndrome...he is an excellent roommate :-) And I am guessing that he felt the same way because after living together for 3 months...Eric had a little surprise for me...

We went to dinner on a Thursday night and we both drove separately because we met after work. On the way home, I thought about work, laundry, vacation (we were going to Atlanta for the weekend to see a friend)...but never thought that I was about to get engaged. It just didn't cross my mind. So when we pulled in the driveway and I saw a candle burning in the window, I flew out of my car and asked Eric what he was thinking leaving a candle burning in the window. He just smiled and told me I better walk in and blow it out. Well, it was more than just a candle in the window...it was a million candles lit up all over our house (compliments of Dana and Kevin)...


And in our bedroom was a little gift that came with a question...


Along with some other treats IF I said yes...


Can you guess what my answer was?


It was a hop, skip and 8 months later that we finally made it to the alter.


We knew exactly where we wanted to get married because it was where we fell in love (at Dana and Kevin's wedding). Plus...it is the most beautiful place either of us could think of. The decision was simple.

We were blessed with a beautiful (warm) August evening and after a perfect 20-minute ceremony, we headed in for the best party we have every thrown.


After stopping for another kiss of course...


And after a great night of fun with our family and friends, Eric and I headed off to our honeymoon...


In the Dominican Republic. It was the most beautiful, relaxing week we have ever spent together. While we were there, we made a vow to go back for our first anniversary.


BUT...God had other plans for us.


We found out we were pregnant with Addie 6 weeks before our first anniversary so instead of going back to Punta Cana...we bought our first house and celebrated our anniversary with a pizza on the floor of our new kitchen. It was by far the best first anniversary anyone could ask for :-)

And then 7 months later...we added another tenant to our new home.


With Addie in our lives, it wasn't an option to spend our second anniversary away from home. Neither of us wanted to leave her and so we vowed to take a trip for our third anniversary. Addie would be a year and half old by then and more than happy to stay with her grandparents for a few days. It was settled...we would go back to Punta Cana for our 3rd anniversary. Or would we?


Eric and I were laying in bed talking about our anniversary last night and we both laughed at our foiled travel plans these past few years. So we deiced to be more realistic with our expectations. We decided that our 10th anniversary was much more realistic for a trip. I asked Eric if he still wanted to go to Punta Cana and he said "what about Disney with the kids instead?" And that,my friends, is why I love this man. I know I have said it a million times but the truth remains the same...he really is the sweetest, kindest, most loving husband, father and friend any girl could ask for.

Happy Anniversary Babe! I love you more than you can possibly imagine. Thank you for 3 wonderful years, 2 perfect babies, and 1 beautiful life :-)

13 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary to you both!! This story was like a fairytale! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! That is such a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww this is so cute!! i went to punta cana for my anniversary too!! you guys are too freakin cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! What a cute story, thanks for sharing! I also have to ask...was your wedding at the Patrick Haley mansion? My cousin got married there last year and it was GORGEOUS. Have a great day with your cute hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very sweet! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful story!

    Happy anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen and Eric Happy Anniversary! Thanks for sharing your story it is really a wonderful love story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came across your blog and I just have to say it made me smile. This post was great! Great story… you know what you should do? You should make a link to this post in your “about me” then people can read your story!!! That is so awesome! I look forward to reading more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the wonderful anniversary wishes everyone!! You are all so sweet...thanks for reading our story :-)

    Lauren - We DID get married at the Patrick Haley Mansion. It is absolutely the most gorgeous place ever. We had the best pictures/ceremony/dinner/ etc. We got a lot of compliments :-)

    Lyr - Welcome and thanks for stopping by! I am definitely taking you up on your suggestion to add this post to my "About Me" section. Great idea! Hope you come back often!

    Thanks again ladies!!! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great story! You two were obviously meant for one another! Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the *perfect* love story!
    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the added photos!!! Your wedding looks beautiful... love those colors! *wink!* I love your huge grin in the first wedding picture too, that says it all!!! I had never heard of Punta Cana before another blogger mentioned her vacay there a week or so ago... I'll have to pick your brain about where to go, it looks beautiful. Who am I kidding, it'll be years until we go on another out-of-country excursion with me getting back to school! Dang! I love Eric's comment about DLand too, how cute! Happy Anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great story!! Thanks for sharing.

    I hear that at the end of planning a wedding (which is where I am at) you get the pregnancy emotions going on...that totally made me tear up. I have turned into such a sap lately...but what a cute story.

    Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete