Friday, September 11, 2009

18 Months & 18 Reasons to be Thankful

Today was Addie's 18 month doctor's appointment. I cannot BELIEVE my baby girl is a year and a half old already!!! That is just insane to me. I don't know where the time has gone, but I am sure glad that I have been around for every moment with this precious little peanut.


On the way home from Addie's appointment, I listened to the annual Eric & Kathy 36-Hour radiothon for Children's Memorial Hospital. The Mix is one of my favorite Chicago radio stations because they are always giving back to the community. This radiothon is a perfect example of that. Every year I listen to all the touching stories of parents who have either lost, or had their children saved at Children's Memorial. A good friend of mine spent some time at Children's with her son and I just remember her telling me how amazing the nurses and doctors were there.

Anyway, as I sat crying in my front seat (like I do every year when I listen), I looked back at my little peanut who was sitting peacefully in her car seat watching Shrek. She flashed me a big smile and I cried even harder. Just that morning, I was running around the house stressed because I couldn't find her shoes, because she threw her sippy cup at Howie, because I didn't have enough time to shower, because I couldn't find my car keys, etc. I think as parents, we spend so many mornings feeling stressed and overwhelmed, we often don't take time to think about how good we have it. There are millions of parents out there who would kill to have their son or daughter home, shoeless and whipping sippy cups at their dog. There are millions of parents out there who would kill to have their son or daughter sitting in their car seat smiling back at them. And I have that. I have a beautiful, healthy baby girl.

As I sat thinking about all my blessings, Eric and Kathy came on the radio and asked that everyone stop what they are dong and just think about their children. Think about all the things they are thankful for and all the things they often take for granted. So...I did just that. In honor of Addie's 18 month birthday...I thought of 18 things I am so thankful for today. 

1. I am thankful that Eric and I are able to make ends meet so that I can stay home with Addie full time. 

2. I am thankful for all the moments and milestones I have shared with her so far.

3. I am thankful for her precious smile.

4. I am thankful for her teeny tiny pigtails that she lets me put in because she is a girly-girl just like her mommy.

5. I am thankful for her healthy appetite and addiction to apples.

6. I am thankful that she is measuring and weighing right where she should be. "Long and Lean" as Dr. Richerts says.

7. I am thankful that her vocabulary continues to grow and hopefully soon, she will shout other things besides "No Howie!"

8. I am thankful for her ticklish little feet. I can always stop her crying if I can grab a foot.

9. I am thankful for her tolerance to shots.

10. I am thankful for her adorable personality.

11. I am thankful for her kisses and the way she is willing to dish them out for anyone who wants one.

12. I am thankful for her hugs and cuddles in the middle of the day.

13. I am thankful for our moments right before bed where she lays her head on my shoulder and whispers "Mama"

14. I am thankful for her giving nature and the way she always wants to share (except with toys of course :-)

15. I am thankful for her unconditional love for me, for Eric, for Howie, for her grandparents, for her aunts and uncles, for her friends and soon...for her baby brother.

16. I am thankful for her ability to make me laugh even when I am sad.

17. I am thankful for her ability to brighten everyone's day.

18. And most of all, I am thankful for 18 months of health and happiness. 

I know this post is quite sappy and emotional for a Friday, but I just can't help but feel moved by what I listened to today. I will be making a donation, as I do every year, and if you would like to listen to the radiothon and hear some of these amazing, touching stories, you can listen live online at www.WTMX.com. And if you already know you want to make a donation, you can call 1-888-831-7733. We never know what the future holds for us or our children, so it is important that we live every day happy and thankful for the moments we have. I know I am going to spend my weekend remembering just that :-)

Happy Friday Everyone!!! 

7 comments:

  1. I love Eric and Kathy, I listen everyone morning. I had to turn it off this morn, it is so sad sometimes.

    Cute list, she is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any kids yet but I totally understand and agree with what you've said. I feel like I come home daily and am stressed from traffic. I don't take advantage of the hours I get to spend with hubs! good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful picture of Addison... she looks like such a little lady now! One of our biggest radio stations is KISS FM and the hosts, Jackie & Bender, do a radiothon every year for Seattle Children's Hospital. I have listened to it every morning since high school... I always bawl through it. Brandon and I have always just set it up to come out of our bank account monthly. It's easy that way and I never miss the cash they take! I can only hope that someday I won't have to use the facility. But, Seattle's Children's is amazing and I always feel so dang bad for all of those parents! *tear*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today was a day that I needed reminding of how grateful I am to have a happy and healthy little 18 month old! It was one of those days where my patience was really tested...but then she makes me just crack up! Thanks for the post Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 19. I am thankful for the joy that this little girl has brought to my life!! I can't imagine life without her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thankful for "all" my girls and boys,there would be no life without them. God sure as blessed me.
    Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete