Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Project Closet

Every time I shop in The Container Store, I am always inspired by their perfectly organized closets. Now, I know it is easy to organize a closet when all of your clothes are shades of the same color and you have the perfect number of shoes to fill exactly 8 cubby holes :-)

 
But I think the real key to their organization is working with fewer items. And because I am a pack rat by nature, my closet is JAMMED full of stuff. Yes, I still have jeans from college. Yes, I still have sweaters from high school. I did make a New Years resolution to purge many of these items and I did. I gave away a ton of cute clothes to the deserving college students that worked for me AND I donated several bags to GoodWill. So I have tried. But I am still holding on to things I know I am not going to wear for a long time...if ever.

For example, my ridiculous wardrobe of "work clothes". I will admit...when I worked full-time...I was a bit of a clothes whore. I was hooked on Banana Republic and would stalk their sale section weekly. I loved getting dressed up for work and I think it is safe to say that I went a little overboard.

But now that I stay home full time AND have a tighter budget AND have a baby girl that is way more fun to shop for than myself...there is just no need for me to own or shop for these kinds of clothes any more. Now, I do have lots of classic never-go-out-of style dress items that I do want to keep for teaching, meetings, and other events. But there is also a lot more that I know I can part with and still go on. I mean for crying out loud...I still have clothes with tags on it!!! 

I do get a little anxious thinking about selling/giving away any of my clothes, but I am on a mission to simplify my life, starting with my closet. Call it nesting...call it claustrophobia...call it a reason to buy cute organizational bins from the Container Store...whatever you want. But it is time to clean this closet out once and for all. And while I do plan to be generous and donate some things, I do have lots of nicer items that I would like to sell. 

So what do you all think? Is eBay the way to go when it comes to selling clothes? Should I check out consignment? Are there other places you can sell clothes/shoes/purses? I have seen some people set up blog sales. Anyone ever done a blog sale or purchased anything from one? I am just looking for a way to part with some of these things and if I can make a little money to put towards Blake and Addie's wardrobes...perhaps it will be easier to part with. Any advice in this department would be much appreciated :-)



9 comments:

  1. Good for you! I've really gotta do that same thing!!! Too much crap!!

    Anyhoo, as for eBay, I've sold clothing items on there before and while it was fun to see people bidding on my things, I didn't really get much for my trouble. Plus, I found that it was a major pain to make a trip to the post office. Like the gas station, I'd just rather not go there. hahaha!

    I've never heard of a blog sale before, what exactly are those? I'd be interested in finding out more about these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss V - From what I understand, a blog sale is like a "garage sale" online. You set up a new blog just for the sale, post all the items you want to sell with descriptions and a price, and then people e-mail you if they want to buy the item. First come, first serve type of thing (unlike an auction). Then I have seen some people create an invoice with Paypal for the transaction so that it is secure. It seems like this would be a great idea since you wouldn't have to pay all those ridiculous eBay fees. They are insane!! But I need to get rid of this stuff. Hey...maybe we should do a blog sale together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in! I have alot to get rid of, including Coach purses and shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ebay has where you can list 5 items a month for free. you should also check out craigslist as well as yahoo groups. There is also websites such as joliet yardsale.com (i think) that you can list your items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should try a blog sale first and see how it goes. Then whatever left you could sell on ebay as individual pieces or in a lot. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sell it here or put it on ebay with links so we can look! I would buy some clothes from you! Good luck with the cleaning out. I have had it on my to do list for awhile, but haven't brought myself to do it. Ugg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude… you should post in on your blog! I want to see what you got so I can buy some! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you, lady! Every time I buy something new I give an item away to goodwill. It works out well. I don't have much extra. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not aware of blog sales, but, i do think that you should sell/donate every item of clothing you own that is not yellow or khaki. Then it would be much easier to organize your closet.

    ReplyDelete