Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Things I Miss About High School

When my old college BF Heidi asked me to help her judge dance try-outs at her high school tonight, I couldn't say yes fast enough. For starters, I haven't seen Heidi in a long time and this was a great excuse to get together. Also, I like any reason to reminisce about my "glory days" as a dancer :-)

(Picture taken in 2006...I am no longer that blonde, tan or thin....but Heidi still is!)

So tonight...as I watched these high school girls dance...I realized there are several things that I miss about being in high school. Here they are in no particular order:

1. I miss my high school figure. These girls were fit, tan and just overall adorable. And I overheard one of them say that they wanted a chocolate cake shake from Portillos. My ass grows just thinking about a chocolate cake shake.

2. I miss having only two financial responsibilities: Gas money and clothes.

3. I miss my high school job. It was at a dry cleaners and I literally sat in the back with my friend Tiffany every night talking about boys, listening to the radio, doing homework, etc. We were lucky if 5 customers came in every night. So basically, we got paid $6 an hour to hang out and talk.

4. I miss high school activities in general. Dancing on a team, being in clubs, going to proms and homecomings, etc.

5. NERD ALERT! I miss learning. I miss taking classes, learning new things, working on projects, researching, etc. I know I am learning PLENTY as a mom, but I miss classroom-style learning. I guess that is why I became a teacher :-)

Now...along with all the things that I miss about being in high school, there are 5 things I don't miss as well. And they are:

1. Drama

2. Drama

3. Drama

4. Drama

5. And most of all....DRAMA!

Oh wait...I guess you don't have to be in high school to experience that. Ha! So...what do you all of you miss or NOT miss about high school?

7 comments:

  1. So when I first saw the title of your post, my first thought was I don't miss anything about high school. But at soon as I read your list, I would have to agree with all of those. Except I couldn't dance so I was a cheerleader. But, I do miss the cheerleading days. Like you said, I don't miss the drama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Do you remember us trying on the clothes at the dry cleaners that had been there over a year! We had so many great times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I wish I could go back to those more simple days! Gas money and clothes...ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I teach high school, I have to say I don't miss much at all since I'm still surrounded by it (you're always welcome to chaperone)! I didn't experience a lot of drama in high school but I sure see it happen now. But if I had to choose something, I would say I miss the comfort of having friends who know you in a time of innocence, when the biggest worry was "what are we doing this weekend?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! I miss those things about high school too!! And I don't miss the drama! Or anxieties that come with high school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally miss high school! I was involved in SO many activities and always had one thing or another going on. While nothing has changed there, my activities in high school seemed way more fun! I cheered for four years and loved it! We were the best squad in our area and I always loved performing. We actually danced quite a lot... but no crazy "Bring It On" dead man moves! :) In our area, it seemed like either your cheerleaders were good or your dance team was good... Never both at the same time, so needless to say, our dance team left much to be desired!

    I also miss my friends and the simple relationships you had. Not to say that my friends weren't amazing - its just that your "issues" weren't really a big deal. I am still BFFs with most of my High School BFFs and now all of our issues are way bigger ones! HA!

    Lastly, I miss the two bills that you mentioned, clothes and gas! :) I've always had a job... my paycheck just hasn't always been relied on so much! :)

    ReplyDelete