Monday, November 9, 2009

The Last Time I Waited in Line for 3 Hours...

I was rewarded with a very cheap lap top computer at Best Buy the day after Thanksgiving. Today I waited in line for 3 hours again but this time...I was rewarded with a shot in the arm.

I am not sure how every other county across the United States is handling their H1N1 clinics, but in my county, it is mass chaos. Hundreds of people trying to get vaccinated at once and ALL of them are considered "priority". There is no moving up in the line when almost everyone in the line is either pregnant or with a child. I showed up an HOUR before the clinic was even scheduled to begin and I was still number 435. Addie was 436. We stepped in line at 2:00 and I didn't get my shot until 5:00. But...now that I have experienced the chaos that is an H1N1 clinic, here are some tips if you plan to bring a child with you.

* Bring someone to help. I don't know what I would have done without my mom today. Actually, I do know what I would have done. I would have left and not been vaccinated. Period. Thanks so much for helping mama! I heart you. 

* Bring a shit load of snacks. Yes...I said shit load. I don't mean one pack of fruit snacks or a sippy cup. I am talking cheese sticks, animal crackers, juice boxes...whatever you got. Stock that bag full of food because in all honesty...it isn't just for the kids. My mom and I ate over half of Addie's stash. Ha!

* Don't wear cute shoes. Even if you think your ruffled Report flats are the most comfortable "cute" shoes you have...ditch them. Put on a pair of running shoes and call it a day.

* Make friends with the person in front or back of you in line so you can sneak off to the bathroom and not lose your place. Yes...a woman in line said that she went to the bathroom and when she came back the woman that was originally behind her complained that she was "cutting". Freaking grow up people.

*And last but not least...add 1 hour to your estimated wait time because even though the line might look like it is getting shorter, you will notice how many people are holding places for families of 5 or more.

So there you go. I am not sure if this will help anyone, but it is what I learned tonight. And even though the wait was SO NOT FUN, at least Addie and I are vaccinated and we don't have to worry about it any longer :-) Anyone else have experience to share about an H1N1 clinic they went to?

3 comments:

  1. I was more than happy to help! Addie and I had a fun time in the Envoy watching movies and crawling from the front seat to the back about 100 times! Oh, and I forgot about the blow-out in her diaper from the snacks you fed her for the first hour! Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can't believe you stood in line that long! I mean, I guess I can. There are crazy long clinic lines here, too.
    Glad it's done for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also went last night with Madison. Luckily in at our health department, they are very organized and efficient. We were in and out in 15 minutes (tops)! They had one line for under 3 and everyone else was in the other line. Did they tell you that Addie would have to go back for a booster? The 1st time they receive it, they need a booster in 4 weeks, so we'll be going back in December. Sorry you had such a wait!

    ReplyDelete