Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The BEST Holiday Snack Mix: Recipe and Gift Idea

My secretary at the college gave me an AWESOME recipe for a holiday snack mix that I just have to share with all of you. It is perfect for parties or even just a little snack at home. And the best part...it is SO easy!!! Here is the recipe:

HOLIDAY PARTY MIX

You will need:

5 cups of Rice Chex
5 cups of Honey Nut Cheerios
10oz bag of pretzels
2 bags of M&Ms
1 can of Cashews
2 bags of Nestle's White Chocolate Chips
3 Tbs Vegetable Oil

How to make:

In an extra large mixing bowl, combine cereal, pretzels, cashews and M&Ms. On the stove top, melt the white chocolate chips with vegetable oil until smooth and creamy. Remove from heat and pour over party mix. Toss evenly to coat all pieces. Spread party mix in a thin layer over a sheet of wax paper to cool. Once it is cool, break apart and store in a container.

See...how easy is that? And the best part of this recipe is that you can tweak it any way you want. If you are using it during the holidays, look for the holiday colored M&Ms and Christmas tree shaped pretzels. Or, if you are using this party mix on tables at a baby or bridal shower, you can use pastel M&Ms. And...if you want to make the recipe more "kid friendly", you can take out the nuts (if they have allergies) and add some raisins. Raisins coated in white chocolate are just as delicious :-)

I usually just take a big bowl of this to a party but this year, I am turning it into a little gift! I found these fantastic glass bowls with lids from Crate and Barrel. You can buy them individually for $1.95 each or you can buy a box of 12 for just $19.95 (that comes out to $1.66 a bowl). 


I am filling them with party mix and the decorating them with some ribbon and a gift tag. I always like giving little gifts to my neighbors, the UPS man, my dog's groomer, etc. and these make fantastic little gifts! Tins are nice too...but these glass bowls are so practical! I already gave one to my groomer and she said she is using it in her daughter's lunch box now. Perfect!

Does anyone else have a great holiday recipe that they plan to give as a gift this year? A special cookie, bread or party mix? I would love to trade :-)

7 comments:

  1. YUM white chocolate is my fav!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. If you are looking to promote your brand in a unique way or want to add that special touch to your gifting solutions, an ideal option is to use customized gifts like t-shirts, pens, mugs, bags which have your company logo imprinted on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah , im making this- not for aparty jsut for myself. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea lady! I like it better than the usual homemade hot chocolate gift with a mug or something like that... a nice twist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was yummy but I think I left mine sitting on your table when I left!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been a family holiday tradition in my family since way back before I was even born. We call it santa's sleigh mix, our recipe is a bit different but the concept is the same. We like to sprinkle holiday sprinkles on it before the white chocolate cools for an extra little festive touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that sounds awesome and it doesn't have peanut butter, I need to try that!

    ReplyDelete