Monday, January 25, 2010

Throw Out Fifty Things

When it comes to organizing...I really like a challenge. I like when someone else tells me how to organize my things and gives me instructions on how to achieve organizational bliss. So, when I saw this book, Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life...I was intrigued.


The goal here is to do just what the title suggests...throw out fifty things. Now, I know 50 things doesn't seem like a lot, but when you really start trying to list the things you are willing to part with, it is a TON! Just looking at the list of things on the cover of this book makes me laugh because we all commit the same hoarding crimes. I mean...how many of us are holding onto random keys that we have no idea what they open? I know I am guilty of this. And really...why do we hold on to them? Is it in the off chance that we might find some random treasure chest in our house that is missing a key? When you think about it...it does seem silly that we keep things like this!!

Anyway, I just placed an order for this book from Barnes and Noble and I can't wait to get started! I noticed that there is a workbook that goes along with this plan and you can download it here. At the beginning of the workbook, the author explains that there are 4 rules to follow before you get started with the challenge. They are called the "Rules of Disengagement".

#1. If it—the thing, the belief or conviction, the memory, the job, even 

the person—weighs you down, clogs you up, or just plain makes you 

feel bad about yourself, throw it out, give it away, sell it, let it go, 

move on. 


#2. If it (see above!) just sits there, taking up room and contributing 

nothing positive to your life, throw it out, give it away, sell it, let it 

go, move on.  If you’re not moving forward, you’re moving 

backward.  Throwing out what’s negative helps you rediscover 

what’s positive. 


#3. Don’t make the decision—whether to toss or keep it—a hard one. 

If you have to weigh the pros and cons for too long or agonize about 

the right thing to do, throw it out.

 

#4. Don’t be afraid.  This is your life we’re talking about.  The only 

one you’ve got for sure.  You don’t have the time, energy or room for 

physical or psychic waste. 


Pretty good rules if you ask me :-) Now, this little project may take me some time since my window of "free time" is very small these days. But in support of my mission to simplify my life, I will throw out (or giveaway, donate, etc.) 50 things...or more! I will definitely share my list when it is complete. Anyone else want to make a list and share it?

12 comments:

  1. I'm in! I bought a great book called "Unclutter your Life in One Week" and have gotten tons of great advice from it (I think you have it now). I have been on a cleaning rampage since January 1 when I ALWAYS make my New's Years resolution to get more organized. I have thrown out about 100 things (didn't count but it filled 6 large trash bags). That didn't even count the bags for Good Will. It feels soooo good!!! Every room in my house is done. Now to tackle the basement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally going to check out that book...I've been on a purging kick lately. It actually feels so much better to get rid of all that little stuff that you keep for really no reason at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a cool book! How did you hear about it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you always read my mind? ;) Actually, I went on a mini-rampage today in the computer room. It may or MAY NOT have been because the laptop isn't working and I was CRAVING blog time so I had to uncover the desktop in said computer room. Hmm... clutter problem? Not me. Never. Ever. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this concept. I just cleaned out my closet and donated the clothes. I asked my hubby to do the same and he has such a hard time letting go of 'stuff' even though he never wears it or uses it. I think he may need the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I know is that if you and your mom are going to be cleaning out your Coach closet again... well, you know where to find me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really love the idea of organizing and throwing out 50 things, I think I could do this once a week.

    On the post about your dad:
    I WISH he was a bit closer, could I put him on a plane and get him to Oklahoma? HA, I can wish right?
    He does amazing work that's for sure, everything is beautiful and so detailed. His work makes me want to send my husband to work working classes. That little table booth he built is WONDERFUL, I've always wanted an adult sized one for my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant "wood working" classes for my man...not work working. It's morning, don't judge. he he

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book! I just haven't actually read it and gone through the throwing out process yet... haha oops. Maybe I'll tackle that this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is an excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me likey! I think I'm making a trip to amazon.com tonight! Thanks for the great idea, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every room in my house is done. Now to tackle the basement!

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete