Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Weigh-In Wednesday: Healthy Mac & Cheese to Start the Plan

Even though I am not starting my get-in-shape plan until next week, I decided to start making some preparations today. For starters, I did a little research at Weight Watchers online yesterday (thanks to my friend Jenn's suggestion) and they DO have an option for nursing mom's! Woohoo! It basically works the same, but I just get some added points to make up for the extra calories I need. They also have TONS of great recipes and tips (this is a big improvement from 3 years ago when I did WW the first time). So, after seeing all the great things the site has to offer AND after finding a coupon for free registration...I decided to join again. I am actually pretty excited about it too because it will help me track what I am eating. And just for fun, I decided to enter in what I ate yesterday and lets just say I went WAAAAYYYYY over my points allowance. That is really scary too since I didn't think I ate that bad. Just goes to show ya how important it is to watch what you eat!

I am very tempted to start my plan today, especially after seeing my points total, but we have a dinner to go to on Friday night and we are celebrating two birthdays on Sunday. Oh, did I mention its also Super Bowl Sunday? Between a fancy meal, cocktails, birthday cake and chips & dip...I think it is best to wait and start fresh on Monday :-)

And to kick off our healthy eating, I am making one of my favorite healthy comfort food recipes...Macaroni and Cheese with Cauliflower.


I got this recipe from Real Simple magazine and it is delicious and SUPER easy. Even Eric likes it...as long as I pair it with some meat for him :-) Here is the recipe:

Serves 6Hands-On Time: 15mTotal Time: 45m

Ingredients

  • 12 ounces multigrain elbow macaroni
  • 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
  • 4 slices multigrain bread, torn
  • 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar (6 ounces)
  • 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1/2 cup 1 percent milk
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Directions

Heat oven to 400° F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, adding the cauliflower during the last 3 minutes of cooking time; drain.


Meanwhile, pulse the bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Add the parsley, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and pulse to combine; set aside.


Return the pasta pot to medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, just until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Mix in the pasta, cauliflower, cheese, sour cream, milk, and mustard.


Transfer to a shallow 3-quart baking dish, sprinkle with the bread crumbs, and bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.


Be sure to let me know if you try the recipe and like it!!


Today's Weigh-In: 154 Pounds

Goal: 140 Pounds

Pounds Left to Go: 14


P.S. Thank you all for the helpful suggestions on cookbooks, recipe websites and fitness tips. I am checking them all out and I will be sure to post the great stuff I find :-) Keep the tips coming!!

5 comments:

  1. That sounds yummy. I think I'll make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that recipe. It looks awesome. My husband and I have been doing WW at home, since June and I've lost 77 lbs and he's lost 72 lbs! It's an awesome program. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found a blog with WW recipes. They all look really good! http://weight-watchers-points-recipes.blogspot.com/
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That recipe does look good! That is a great adaption from Brandon's family that eats califlower with velveeta sauce... Oh, MY! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Mac & Cheese recipe! I've made it before and it was delicious! It makes a ton by the way. so be prepared!

    ReplyDelete