Friday, April 23, 2010

Eco-Friendly Friday: Green Spring Cleaning

It's the season for some Spring Cleaning! I don't know about you, but when the temperature outside hits 60 degrees or above, I can't wait to get my windows open to air the place out. I feel like my house gets this layer of funk during the winter that just doesn't go away until I can do some deep down cleaning. But who has the time to do that type of cleaning nowadays? I know I only have a very small window of time to do any major cleaning during the day so I like to use products that are cheap, easy and effective. I don't like having 50 different bottles to tote around and because of the kids, I am VERY selective about which cleaners I like to use. I am a big fan of Seventh Generation, but the price tag doesn't always fit our budget.

So...after my friend Natalie suggested trying Reusit.com's Eco-Me DIY Home cleaning kit, I decided to give it a shot.


In order to make your cleansers, you only need to supply three ingredients: Baking Soda, Vinegar, and Olive Oil. The kit comes with everything else you need like spray bottles, storage containers, a scrub brush, microfiber cloth and essential oils. I was most curious about the scent of the products, since I can't stand the smell of vinegar. But to my surprise, the addition of the Home Blend essential oils to the mixture made them smell WONDERFUL! So fresh and clean. This is probably the biggest selling point for me. I want and need my home to actually smell clean, not just look clean. Today I tested the products on a soap scummy bathtub, a post dinner stove top, and a kitchen sink. These products past all three tests with flying colors. I don't know if I will ever buy another cleaning kit again!!!

And while the kit does come with a microfiber cloth, I still have to recommend this Mu Kitchen cloth because it is freaking AWESOME!!!


It has a small scrub pad that is perfect for rubbing out tough stains on the counter, or scraping dried food off a plate. I haven't washed it yet, but I am told that it can be washed in your washing machine and/or sanitized in your microwave. BONUS!

And speaking of fabulous cloths, I just had to post about these reusable SKOY paper towels again because they rock. The last time I posted about them I hadn't really had the opportunity to put them to a major test. But when Addie decided to dump an ENTIRE glass of water on the kitchen floor because Howie "looked thirsty", I decided it was time to give them the ultimate test. Would you believe that just one SKOY cloth soaked up the entire glass of water?!! The floor was dry as a bone. That would have wasted a ton of paper towels. So if you tend to have a lot of messes in your house...I highly recommend picking up a pack of these. Oh, and they also do a great job of cleaning windows and mirrors!!


And finally, if you really need a good scrubber for your bath tub, kitchen sink, stove top, etc, you have to check out these SuperScrubbers...


These bad boys are also washable, they can be sterilized in the microwave, and they last up to 6 months!! No more smelly, germy sponges in your house!!!

And that is really all you need to get your house green and clean!!! I know that all natural cleaners are often cast aside because people don't think they get their house as clean as some of the other products on the market. But I promise you...these did a fabulous job in my house and I actually feel like my house is more clean because I don't have that terrible chemical smell everywhere!!

1 comment:

  1. I read this, I promise! I just didn't comment! I actually clean with vinegar almost exclusively now. It does stink, but I got used to it. My cleaners are: Lysol wipes, vinegar and the clorox disposable toilet brush things. Being a slight germaphobe, I HATE the idea of a toilet brush that you reuse. SO, I don't know if I'll ever give up these!!!
    I still want to buy those paper towel things too!

    ReplyDelete