Sunday, April 11, 2010

Simple Sundays

My bloggy friend Adrienne wrote a really cute post today called "Simple Sundays".


She is actually starting this as a new weekly installment on her blog and I think it is such a wonderful idea. I think we all need to be more aware of all the blessings we have, especially when life gets chaotic :-) And speaking of chaos...

Eric and I have been waiting for this weekend for months because our calendar was completely empty. No birthday parties, no family get togethers, no work commitments, etc. Now don't get me wrong, we LOVE getting together with our family and friends. But sometimes you just need a break from all the running around. It was a nice feeling to wake up on Saturday and not have a thing to do!! Well, besides get ready for a garage sale, clean the house to get ready for Blake's Baptism next weekend, do our Spring yard clean-up, grocery shop, continue Addie's potty training progress, give extra lovin to a baby boy who is already teething, and so on and so on. Isn't it amazing how a relaxing, do-nothing weekend can turn into one of the most chaotic weekends of all?!!

I honestly felt like I didn't see Eric all weekend, even though we didn't leave the house. Maybe its because one of us was always either tending to the kids, or trying to get some of our chores done. We were running around like a couple of crazies. And the kids were honestly no help this weekend. Addie was whiny one minute, and totally hyper the next and Blake was just straight up crabby unless you were holding him (and then he was all smiles of course). It was just one of those weekends where you felt more tired and stressed than you did during the week, which isn't fair in my opinion because the weekend is suppose to be your break!!!

So as you can imagine, I was feeling completely drained by the time bedtime rolled around tonight. Eric and I were sitting on the couch with the kids trying to get them to wind down. As I sat there, I looked over at Eric. His hair was all disheveled, his t-shirt had BBQ sauce on it from dinner, and his cheeks were all flushed from running around the house chasing a naked baby girl after bathtime. And I didn't look much better. My hair was in a messy pony, I had no make-up on, my sweat pants had spit-up all down the left side and I am pretty sure I smelled like ham. But then I looked at the kiddies. Addie was sitting on Eric's lap, her hair still damp but perfectly combed, wearing her cute new jammies she got for her birthday. Eric was asking her what shapes were on her jammies and she just looked at him and said "hearts dada". Her sweet little voice immediately brought a smile to my face. I was sitting next to her, holding Blake, who was perfectly calm in my arms. He smelled like lavender from his bath and he was holding my finger with his hand. I could feel him looking at me and when I looked down at him and our eyes met, he let out the funniest little giggle. Addie thought he was giggling at her so then she started laughing. Eric and I didn't know why either of them were laughing but it was so cute to watch, we started laughing too. In that moment, I was hit with a wave of emotions: Guilt, for having wished for bedtime. Remorse, for having raised my voice more than I wanted to this weekend. Relief, for having two happy babies despite all the crying earlier in the day. Joy, for having experienced this moment with my family and Blessed because God has given me everything I have ever asked for. I'll take a stressful weekend any time if it means ending our Sunday just like this :-)

3 comments:

  1. great post...thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special time with your family. Kinda got me choked up a bit! Darn you!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete