Monday, April 19, 2010

Thanks to Potty Training...I've Become THAT Parent

I'll be honest...I was a little reluctant to join Facebook when I did a year ago because I thought the whole "status update" thing was a bit much. People seem to share waaaaaaaaaaay to much on Facebook sometimes (i.e. airing out their dirty laundry, or picking a fight with another person, or informing the world of their child's bowel movements, etc.) Now don't get me wrong, I have probably been guilty of posting many things that people don't care to know about. But one thing I said I would never do was post about my child's poop. I don't know why...but it totally grossed me out when a parent would write "Jenny just went poo poo in the potty!!!"

BUT....I totally and completely get it now. I understand why parents feel the need to post about their child's bowel movements because in the land of potty training, this is a freaking HUGE accomplishment!!!! And I do mean HUGE!!! While Addie has been so good about going #1, we were still struggling quite a bit with #2. And let me just say that #2 accidents in big girl underwear are NOT fun to clean up. I can handle poopy diapers, but I can't handle poopy undies because it always results in poopy pants, poopy legs, etc. I will spare you the rest of the details.

ANYWAY, when Addie accomplished the task of #2 in the potty a few days ago, I really wanted to post about it on Facebook because, like I said, it was a big event. And then today, when Addie did it again without having to be asked, I was already grabbing for my phone so I could post about it. But then I stopped myself because I didn't want to be "that parent". So instead, I decided to write this entire blog post about it. HAHAHA!!! I mean, it's my blog...I can post about poop if I want to :-)

So the moral of this story is that you should never say "I would never be that person" because some day...you might just be the mom that posts about poop :-) And all joking aside, there is a lot to celebrate today because in addition to mastering the #2 hurdle...Addie has also filled her first potty chart!!!

I am going to get her something special for making it so far but I haven't decided what to do for her yet. I would reward her with treats, but she already had a huge piece of cake at Blake's baptism yesterday. And I would reward her with bubbles, since she is crazy about those right now, but she already has a bunch of bubbles outside. So I don't know what to do that would be something special. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I should take her somewhere? I could use some fun ideas :-)

11 comments:

  1. Do you have a zoo around you? Or like an interactive kid museum? Those are always fun for little kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to both Addie and Mommy! As a mother who is working on mastering potty-training, I can totally relate to your excitement. Go ahead celebrate it, you both are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm SO that parent!! haven't done it in a long time though...not since the poop in the tub status update :) oh wait, i did one last week about peeing on the floor...anywho, YAY for Addie!!! way to go mommy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann Marie - That's what I'm sayin!!! You swear your will never post about pee and poop and spit up and whatever but when you have kiddies, its hard not to talk about those things when they consume your life. Hahaha! I guess we are both "that" type of parent now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Addie, so exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree about the TMI on Facebook! Sometimes I wonder what in the world people are thinking posting those kinds of things. I bet once I have kids though I'll be doing it too! Congrats on the potty training!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, Addie! And I STILL cannot get over how much older she is looking these days!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The humane society or pet store is always a favorite for Sophie. She loves petty the kitties!

    Yay for Addie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, personally, would WAY rather hear about Addie's poop than some people's sex lives... Just sayin'! Now, just don't become THAT type of person! LOL!

    Way to goooooo Addie!!! :) This may be a little random... But, what about using shaving cream to draw in? If you have a desk or table for her that won't be harmed by the shaving cream, that is. Addie is old enough to know she shouldn't eat it, right? It is such a cool texture and super fun to write in and play with! I may be way off, but its something simple that could be a big treat for her to get to do and you don't have to leave your house!

    I think I'm going to go put shaving cream on my counters and draw now... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys are AWESOME!!! Thanks for all the great suggestions!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is awesome! i will so be that parent. :) i am delaying this whole ordeal as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete