Monday, May 10, 2010

A Crazy Few Weeks

I am sure it seemed a little overdramatic of me to take an internet break, what with all this "free time" I have as a SAHM, so I thought I would try to recap the last few weeks just to give you an idea of what I've been up to.

Now, you all have had the opportunity to see pics of Easter, Blake's Baptism, my parent's 30th Anniversary brunch, and even our crazy garage sale. But...the one thing I have been DYING to post about is my SIL Dana's surprise 30th birthday party!!!! I can't begin to tell you how hard it was to not blog about all this. From decorations, to invitations, to party planning ideas...I have wanted to post SO many times over the past two months. Plus...you know me and secrets :-) I don't know why I even agreed to throw a surprise party for one of the people I see and/or talk to at least twice a day. I had to do everything without her knowing and it was TOUGH!! I spun a web of lies so big I could hardly keep track of what I was doing! She could have busted me so many times too. I had just gone to Target with her and the very next morning, when I was really running to the party store to get decorations and supplies, I told her I was "running to Target". IDIOT! Or when I was rummaging through her kitchen drawers looking for her address book to finish invitations and she almost caught me. MORON! Luckily...Dana catches onto things about as fast as I do so the party was a smashing success :-)

The night of the party, I told Dana I needed to drop something off at her Mom's house before dinner. I was worried that she would know what was going on the minute she saw all the cars, but when we pulled onto my MIL's street, Dana said "Wow...looks like someones having a party!" And she was right!! Here she is walking in...


This isn't the best "reaction" picture, since Dana looks like she is going to cry and I look totally confused, but it's all we got :-) I assure you...she was so excited...


And so happy to see all of her family...


And friends...


And after she shed a few tears of joy, all of us girls headed in to do what we do best...


EAT!!!!!!!!!!


Since it was Dana's birthday, my MIL skipped the traditional cake and went for one of Dana's favorites....


Yep...that's a carrot birthday cake :-)


After we all shoved a big slice of it in our mouths, it was time for gifts...


And a second piece of cake for Jill and I...


One of the gifts I got Dana was a framed picture of us when we were 8 or 9 years old. It's one of my favorites :-)


I, unfortunately, do not have a group picture to post because we were all too busy gabbing and eating to take one!! Oh well...at least we all have wonderful memories of the night :-)

And Dana's birthday celebration didn't end there. My MIL Patti decided to have everyone over for dinner that following Sunday (you know...since we kicked all the guys out of her girl's party :-) We didn't mind though because another birthday celebration meant another cake!


Who do you think was the most excited?


It wasn't Blake. He didn't get to have any cake and he knew it. Poor guy :-(


You guessed it! It was Addie and Nia (a.k.a. the two little cake hounds)...


At least Nolan was able to get some this time :-)


So after a busy couple of weeks of celebrating party-planning and garagesaling, I was hoping it would be time to wind down. But my hubby had other plans. He was just starting a huge project at work which was going to mean loooong hours....which also meant loooong hours for me :-) Thank God for Nana's who come over and play with the kids...


And french braid their hair...


For fun playdates with friends...


For visits from Great Grandma...


Who will help you push Elmo down the slide all afternoon...


And finally, thank God for a fabulous break...even if it is only for one day :-)

Mother's Day was fabulous for SO many reasons this year. For starters, I got to spend it with my mommy (and grandmommy). We spent the morning eating a delicious breakfast that my Dad and Eric cooked AND cleaned up!!! Woohoo!


So what did we do with all the free time? Well...what do you think...


This was our first Mother's Day with Blake so as you can imagine...he got a lot of attention. Uncle Adam and Aunt Di even brought him a special belated baptism gift...his first BB Gun!! Can you tell our family hunts?


Don't worry...Addie still got plenty of attention on Mother's Day too...


But don't be fooled...she made sure she had plenty of attention. You know, like when she sees Blake on Daddy's lap...


And has to jump up too :-) I don't think Daddy minded though. He was still able to keep his conversation with Uncle Joe going...even with both kids on his lap :-)


After a nice long nap time (another fabulous Mother's Day gift from my kids :-), we had my in-laws over for dinner! And in true Nana fashion...she smothered the grandbabies with love :-)



And since we were all on cake overload again, I chose to have ice cream sundays for dessert this year. Do you think the cake hounds minded the change?


I think not :-)

Now...I know some of you are reading this post thinking "what's the big deal Jen...my schedule is like this too AND I work full time!" For those of you who can say that...I aplaud you. I only hacked it as a career mom for about two months before I quit my job. I am sure it is tough and I will never try to say that I know what it is like because I don't. But at the same time, I do know what it is like to be a SAHM and take care of a new baby and a toddler 24/7. For those of you who are in my same boat, I am sure you are well aware of the fact that even a task as simple as picking up streamers at a party supply store is a full on production. Plus, because my hubby hasn't been around to help out, it has been a bit draining accomplishing all of these tasks with two kids in tow. This is when I miss my lunch hours for errand running :-)

So that, my friends, is why even the enjoyable task of blogging became too much for this mama to handle last week. I needed to free up some time wherever I could and by doing that, I accomplished SO MUCH! I wish I could say that Blake has been giving me more sleep, but thanks to teething, it has gotten a bit worse :-( It's a good thing he's so damn cute though :-) But I am happy to say that aside from my hubby's birthday, my BFF Linsey's birthday, 3 graduation parties, a baptism and the birth of a new baby at some point...the rest of this month should be fairly calm and relaxing. Ha!

Thank you all so much for your sweet words and comments on my "Breathe and Reboot" post. I know we are all in good company when it comes to stressful schedules. But at the same time, I wouldn't change the craziness in my life for anything because family and friends are what I live for. All this cake eating may force me to go back on WW in a few weeks, but again...it is all worth it :-)

5 comments:

  1. Addie's smile is sooo cute! She has such a sweet but mischievous look on her face! Adorable! :) And lucky you for her letting you do her hair! Emma has been such a stinker about that! I want her to wear a ponytail so bad! :)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. How FUN! I am planning a surprise party this year for the hubs...I'm sure I'll be so antsy to post, too!

    Love little Addie's french braid. She looks like such a big girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should still post about the decorations and invites and stuff! It's never too late! :) Dana looked like she had a good time and I'm sure she appreciated all of your efforts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to Christianlouboutinmy.com,the summer is coming,what are you waiting for,just come and go shopping,here are our featured and best-seller christian louboutin products:chanel shoes chanel shoes jimmy choo jimmy choo manolo blahnik manolo blahnik louis vuitton shoes louis vuitton shoes Tory Burch Shoes and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I know this has absolutley nothing to do with your post, but how do you get your background to be so cool????

    ReplyDelete