Friday, June 11, 2010

Eco-Friendly Friday: Coffee, Coffee, Coffee

Like billions of other people in the world, I am a coffee hound. I only drink one (sometimes two) cups a day...but I love it. I HAVE to have it or my morning just isn't the same. When I use to work full-time, I was addicted to Starbucks. I went there almost every single day and when I think about all of the disposable cups (and money) I burned through those years...I kind of want to puke, especially when reducing waste from coffee drinking is SO FREAKING EASY!!!

I know that a single paper coffee cup doesn't seem like much waste, but when you times it by 23 billion (the estimated number of disposable coffee cups used this year alone) trust me...that's a freaking TON of waste. So why not start cutting down on those disposable cups and get yourself a great reusable one like this Stainless Steel Traveler...


Or if you like the look and feel of those disposable cups, go with something like this Porcelain Eco-Cup...


And listen, I understand that sometimes the coffee craving hits you when you are out and about without your reusable mug. So if you must use a disposable cup, at least carry around your own cozy and save on those cardboard ones that end up in the trash too. These Wool Felt Cozy's are a perfect option (that is...if you don't have a mother that can knit you one :-)


It really is SO simple to use a usable mug these days, especially when places like Starbucks will brew your drink right inside your own tumbler!! But if you want to save yourself a little money too, why not get yourself one of these 17oz BowValley Double Wall Bottles and fill it up at home!!


And speaking of brewing your own coffee at home, I would like to draw your attention to a few other wasteful mistakes you could be making on a daily basis. First up...coffee filters. Think about it; If you brew at least one pot of coffee a day, that's 365 coffee filters tossed in the trash every year. Now, times that by the number of people in the world that use coffee filters on daily basis and we have another HUGE problem on our hands. One simple solution is to invest in one of these SwissGold Reusable Coffee Filters...


This filter has received excellent reviews and the one thing that people seem to rave about most is the money they save and the fact that they never "run out of filters!!" SwissGold also makes reusable tea infusers too so be sure to check them out if you are a tea hound :-)

Now, while this reusable coffee filter is a great idea...I am a Keurig Girl. I LOVE my one-cup coffee maker and even though I find their coffee cups (pods) super convenient, they really are incredibly wasteful. I always recycle them, but sometimes I feel like that isn't enough. So my mom got me this reusable Keurig coffee filter a while back and I love it!


Now I can just buy bags of my favorite coffee and still run it through my one-cup machine. Score!

So...let's review shall we? Here are 5 simple ways to cut down your coffee-waste.

1. Use your own reusable mug/thermos/tumbler when you go to places like Starbucks.
2. Be sure to use your OWN cozy and not the cardboard ones.
3. Save money and brew your coffee at home!
4. Ditch the paper coffee filters and opt for reusable ones.
5. And finally, PLEASE stir your coffee with something other than a disposable plastic straw. Those straws are used for like 10 seconds and are immediately tossed in the trash. Use your finger if you have to friends...just ditch the straw :-)

Until next time coffee hounds!! Happy Friday!!

P.S. If any of you know of other coffee places that let you use your own mug (or better yet...give you a discount for doing so) please post a comment. Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. Great post as always, Jen! I created a guide a while ago for people who can't seem to shake the Starbucks habit. Check it out: http://reusablebags.typepad.com/blog/2009/10/natalies-starbucks-survival-kit.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always bring my own cup when getting a coffee, but it is extremely hard to find a reusable coffee cup that will hold at least 20 ounces of liquid. Most cups are 16 ounces or less. Does anyone know where to obtain a 20 ounce reusable travel mug?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always bring my own travel mug with me to the coffee stores. However, I have had a hard time finding travel mugs that hold 20 ounces (which is a large coffee at most stores). It seems that the only size mugs out there are 16 ounces or less. Does anyone know where I can obtain a 20 ounce travel mug?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kleen Kanteen has a 20oz insulated bottle. Pair it with the cafe cap, and you're good to go!
    http://www.reusablebags.com/store/klean-kanteen-insulated-wide-stainless-steel-reusable-water-bottle-p-2218.html
    I love mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks karmama! I was just about to post this mug from reusable bags too! I LOVE Klean Kanteen :-)
    http://www.reusablebags.com/store/stainless-steel-thermal-travel-p-374.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. If your canteen/container is twist on and sealed...shake don't stir! One less plastic stir stick eliminated! I just do it that way cuz I am lazy too! :)

    ReplyDelete