Friday, June 4, 2010

Eco-Friendly Friday: Summer Picnic Checklist

One of my favorite things to do during the summer is go on a picnic. I don't know why...but turkey sandwiches just taste better when you are outside sitting on a blanket :-)

Just last week, the kids and I met Eric for our first picnic lunch of the season and it was such a nice treat for all of us. Eric commented on how eco-friendly I was that day with my little reusable sandwich baggies and cloth napkins. As we looked around the park, we noticed quite a bit of picnic trash (i.e. empty water bottles, snack wrappers, broken plastic utensils, etc.) and Eric said, "I think you should post about reusable "picnic equipment" next week." Great idea babe!! I think it is important for all of us to be conscious about the trash we bring to parks. We may make our best effort to get all of it into the trash can, but that doesn't always happen. Plus, recycle bins aren't always available at parks and that creates another problem. So...I thought I would share some of the great pieces of reusable "picnic equipment" I plan to use this summer. Be sure to follow along and check off the items you might still need :-)

A Cute Basket...CHECK!


Obviously, my picnic basket of choice is a Reisenthel Market Tote. This is one of their fun new patterns and I think it is perfect for summer picnics :-)

And since picnic baskets are usually filled with smaller items, I thought it was wise to invest in one of Reisenthel's new market basket covers. Pretty cute right?


Reusable Sandwich/Snack Bags...CHECK!


I have always been a big fan of LunchSkins, but I bought these WasteNot Saks as a gift for my SIL Meagan and she absolutely loves them!! She says they do a much better job of keeping her crunchy snacks (like chips, crackers, popcorn, etc.) from going stale. And come on...what's a picnic lunch without chips??

Reusable Food Containers...CHECK!


In case you are trying to fit into a bathing suit this summer and have therefore sworn off chips, here is a great container for bringing salads along on your picnic!! These LunchBots Stainless Steel Containers also work great for fruit salad, pasta salad and anything else that can't hack it in a baggie :-)

Reusable Utensils...CHECK!


These bamboo flatware sets from To-Go Ware are not only great for picnics, but also for packing lunches!!! And now they make these super cute cases to carry them in. I plan to get an extra set just to keep in my diaper bag for trips to the food court at the mall. No more plastic utensils for us!

Reusable Napkins...CHECK!!


I am sure most of us have at least once set of cloth napkins in our house that only come out for special occasions. I know I was completely guilty of this until I realized that I could be using those napkins for dinner EVERY night and save a boat load on paper napkins!! So...if you have a great set of cloth napkins at your house...break them out tonight for dinner and give them a whirl. Or, you could save your fancy napkins and invest in a set of organic cotton napkins by Litter Free Lunch. These napkins are super durable, machine washable and perfect for picnics!

Reusable Water Bottles...CHECK!!!


I typically post about stainless steel and aluminum water bottles because I love how they keep my drinks cool for hours. But, I think these new Bobble Filtering Reusable Bottles are perfect for picnics because they are made of light-weight plastic (which won't weigh your basket down) and they have a built in filter which is great for when you have to refill your bottle at the park drinking fountain.

So there you have it friends!!! A little checklist to help you put together your own reusable picnic basket this summer. Do any of you have any other great picnic must-haves that I left off my list? If so...be sure to comment. Happy Friday!!!

8 comments:

  1. Great post, Jen! I want to go on one of your picnics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those utensils are amazing. so glad i have come across your blog. such a great thing you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great point about the napkins...gotta get those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of these ideas! :) I need to be better about sitting down and actually ordering a lot of the things you post about. I still haven't bought the dang dryer balls from forever ago!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what a good idea!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cool stuff. I'm going to have to make my mind up on a pattern and get one of those baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like what Natalie said too. We should go on a picnic with the kids. FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that stainless steel resuable container. The salad in it looks good too! :) For cloth napkins, bandanas work well so everyone can have their own color. :) I never realized how eco-friendly my mom was but we always used cloth napkins. She made most of them herself. As kids we were all in to personalized napkins so she put our initials on them or we got our own color for the bandana ones!

    ReplyDelete