Monday, June 7, 2010

A New Bloggy on the Block

As I have said many times on this blog...I heart Martha Stewart. She really is one of my idols. But one thing I have always said is that I could never be Martha Stewart for 3 reasons:

1. I have a black thumb. I try really, really hard to take care of my indoor plants, my outdoor plants and flowers, my garden, etc. But for some reason...I just can't get things to grow the way others can. This, of course, is not a problem for Martha.

2. I suck at cooking. Okay, that is only partially true I guess. If I have a clear recipe, and all of the ingredients are prepared and ready to go, I can usually make anything I try. I can't always promise that it will be good...but I can make it. However, I do have some issues in the kitchen. For one thing, I have no creativity when it comes to food. I have no idea how to improvise ingredients or change things up to make it my own. And most of all, I hate...I mean H.A.T.E. fondling raw meat. I hate touching it, cutting it, seasoning it, tenderizing it, whatever. Martha obviously has no problem with this, since I just watched her de-bone a chicken the other day.

3. I don't have enough patience. I can be a patient person when I have to be, but when it comes to cooking, gardening, or making things from scratch...I like to take short cuts :-) Martha NEVER takes short cuts. She is a homemade girl.

I guess the only real thing I have in common with Martha is that I can "do pretty". I can take a crappy cake and make it look delicious on the plate. I can take an old beat-up picture frame and make it look cute on a mantel. That kind of stuff I can do. But when it comes to the important stuff...like the behind-the-scenes grunt work...I am not a Martha. So, I guess it is a pretty wonderful thing that my sister-in-law Diana came into my life.

You see...Diana is also a Martha Stewart lover. In fact, it was our love of domestic goddesses like Martha, and Paula Dean, etc. that broke the ice the night we met. We talked about decorating and crafting and cooking and then when I started referring to her as "Diana Stewart", she said "Nope. I can't be Martha. I don't do pretty". It was like all of the stars in the sky aligned at that moment. I did pretty...and she didn't. She could bake the cake, and I could decorate it. She was the yin to my yang.

So when I suggested a few weeks ago that she start her OWN blog to talk about all of the amazingly domestic things she does (like grow her own garden, can her own fruits and veggies, bake, cook, quilt, sew, etc.) she told me I was nuts. She said she wouldn't even know where to start. So, I started it for her. I did my part and made her blog "pretty". And now, after only 4 posts, Diana's blog is more fun, interesting and informative than my blog is after over 600 posts. Hahahaha! But seriously, you NEED to check out her new site. It's fittingly called The Apple Pie Gal...


I suggest you start reading here and get to know Di a little first. Obviously, I love her because she is my sister-in-law. But even more so, I love Di for her balls out honesty, her humor, and her overall fabulousness. She is crazy talented and I just can't wait to read her blog every day to see what she is up to next. Congrats on the new blog sis!!!

5 comments:

  1. I have some pretty wonderful girls in my life, all four!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, let me say first...THANK YOU! And a 'counter' to your points:
    You do NOT suck at cooking, you haven't killed anyone yet, therefore yer good! You don't need patience, just time...2 kids...not happening soon!! Black thumb? Maybe. HAHA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you're helping people in blogland! :) add being very generous and thoughtful to your pluses! ;)

    ReplyDelete