Thursday, June 17, 2010

Operation "Get A Hot Mommy Body"

Nothing like putting on a bathing suit for the first time this summer to really spark my urge to work-out. I have been saying for MONTHS that I want to start working out more often, especially after working so hard to lose all my baby weight. And although I will make a few random attempts to do some sit-ups at night or spend 20 minutes on the elliptical machine at my house...I haven't been consistent. I will go weeks without a single attempt and that is just SAD! I do feel like I am an active person, considering I chase a toddler around all day long. But that isn't going to cut it anymore. That isn't going to get me in shape and that isn't going to take away my trouble areas (i.e. post-baby belly, thunder thighs and fat ass. If you wanted the specifics).

I know that deciding to work out is only half the battle. I also need to decide how I want to work out and what is best for my body type and lifestyle. I firmly believe that some people are just born with certain types of bodies (i.e. athletic, curvy, etc.) I, for one, was born a bean pole and then developed into a curvy, bootilicious woman. Even at my fittest, I still had a bootie and lots of curves to go with it. I use to hate this about myself, especially when I danced in college. I use to look at my BFF Mandy with her perfect, petite, Cameron-Diaz-like athletic figure and think "DAMN IT! Why can't I get rid of this ass!!". But now, I have come to accept my curvy body. Eric tells me he loves my bootiliciousness and I don't want that to go away. I just want my curves to be...well...tighter. I guess if I were to compare my desired figure to one celebrity, it would be Kate Winslet.


Kate is just plain stunning to me. She has a gorgeous curvy figure and when ELLE UK asked her what she did to stay fit...she said Pilates videos. She doesn't like going to the gym because she is pressed for time (and I feel the EXACT same way) so she likes to do her workouts at home. I know a lot of people say that at-home work-outs don't work but here is proof that they do...


This is the picture I want to plaster to my fridge. I can't say I EVER looked like this when I use to do pilates, but I did feel like I was on my way. I LOVED doing pilates. So...I need to get back in a real pilates routine and since making it to classes is just not working out for me, I thought I would invest in a good video. The 10 Minute Solution: Rapid Results Pilates got great reviews on Barnes and Noble and Amazon so I just ordered myself a copy.


Now, getting sexy curves is not my only mission. I really do want to get in shape and live healthier. I want to be able to walk two flights of stairs without losing my breath and I don't want to feel so damn tired all the time! I know that has a lot to do with sleep deprivation, but that isn't my only problem. I really do need to be more active then I am. Whenever I tell people that I need more energy but don't like working out...they tell me to run. Let me just start by saying I HATE running. I always have. But when those same people ask why...I don't have a clear answer. I don't know why I hate running. Maybe I just haven't given it a fair shot.

So last night, I decided to use my beautiful BOB jogging stroller as an actual jogging stroller. I warmed up with a nice walk, and then jogged for what felt like 10 minutes. I was sweating, panting, and I could already feel my side cramp starting. I looked down at the timer on my phone and it said 63 seconds. WHAT??? 63 F*&@*%# seconds!!. I walked another few minutes trying to decide if I even wanted to do that again. But after I caught my breath, I thought I would try once more. I made it about 60 seconds again before I felt like I was going to die. I remembered at that exact moment why I hated running, but I did it 4 more times anyway.

When I got home, I started to feel the endorphins. I felt like I had more energy and I was ready to go do some pilates. I couldn't believe the second wind I got after jogging for such a short time. And the best part was, Addie got to go for a ride and Blake got a quick catnap. It was an exercise I could do with the kids! Bonus!!

I never thought I would see the day I actually want to go running. But all it took was one night to feel the difference. I am certainly hurting today and I realize that I am going to have to work up to this. I don't know the first thing about running or how to train myself, so a friend of mine suggested I look into the Couch to 5K plan.


I guess what I like best about this plan is that it is a plan. There is a schedule with goals to work up to and that is how I succeed best. It says you are suppose to work-out 3 days a week for about 20-30 minutes, alternating walking and jogging. I know I am a busy person, but I would like to think that I can at least make that much time to get in shape. I can't say that I am fully convinced that I will be able to run 3 miles after this 10-week program...but if I can...that would be freaking awesome.

So I have my plan and goal in mind. I will do the Couch to 5K plan 3 days a week, and my pilates video 2 days a week (it is only 10 minutes) and then I will take Saturdays and Sundays off. I think that sounds doable don't you?? You know...I could really use some partners in this. I know my friend Chelsi already offered to be my Cto5K partner. Anyone else want to join in? I could post a weekly progress report and we could all chime in on our progress and offer encouragement? Support helps friends :-)

Let operation "Get a Hot Mommy Body" begin!!!

17 comments:

  1. I seriously need to exercise but I am beyond lazy! ;) Can't wait to hear about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Just a frequent blog visitor. We have a ton in common...2 year olds and a baby (mine on the way any day now!). Anyhow- I plan on doing the c25k when I can resume exercising and a friend of mine recommended these podcasts which are handy at distracting you but also telling you exactly when to run and walk. Just download them to your ipod and you are set! Hope it helps!

    http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cate Winslet is GORGEOUS! I do lots of yoga and some biking, but I'd really like to get into running again. I'm the kind of person who will just pick up and run a 5k without training. Perhaps I should train this time :P

    Count me in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously need to do this. I need your upbeat motivation. I need to do this for me, my husband, my family and ... my future children. I seriously would LOVE to have a partner to help me through this because I cannot do it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I love Diana! I also frown upon exercise.

    Jen, I wish you luck--as your ass is shrinking, mine will be growing. As you know, I am not only growing babies in my belly, I am also growing them in various parts of my body, like my arms, my thighs, and my booty. Oh, and in my big pumpkin face too.

    Perhaps your weight loss and shaping up will motivate me to do the same in about a year! You're still going to pig out with me when you guys visit, though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get in a workout routine too. Let me know if you like the pilates dvd and I may have to invest in it too. 10 min seems doable. :o) We have a membership for the y and it has free childcare for me to take a class, I was doing pretty good for awhile but with the move and everything I have gotten lazy. I too hate running, maybe I'll cave eventually but I don't think I'm there yet. I do have a jogging stroller...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! You are so funny! You look amazing...so I kinda think your nutso! And trust me....flat booties get you no where! I'm working on getting a little junk in my trunk...husbands kinda dig that kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just started the couch to 5K program today and I thought I was going to die so it would be nice to have partners in crime to complete this. My email is jodidemey@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just started the couch to 5K program today and I thought I was going to die so it would be nice to have partners in crime to complete this. My email is jodidemey@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alison - I will keep you posted for sure. And I am lazy too when it comes to working out. Hope I can stick to it!

    Amy - Thanks for stopping by!! And thank you SO MUC for the link to the podcasts. I think those are going to be super helpful :-)

    Rachel - I've got on my list girlfriend. We start Monday so read up and get your running shoes out :-)

    Apple Pie - I am going to have your ass running in no time...even if I have to strap you to my back in the Baby Bjorn. Ha!

    Chelsi - DOne and done. You're in partner :-)

    Tara - You are the cutest pregnant chic ever. And you are carrying TWINS for crying outload. You will burn all that weight off in the first week of having them. And when you are ready...we can run :-)

    Mia - I will definitely let you know how the video is. I am excited to try it out! 10 minutes is my kind of workout. Ha!

    Mandy - I am going to tape a picture of YOU to my fridge to get motivation to work out. No mom of two should look so smokin hot already. Just sayin.. :-) You have been and always will be my fitness guru. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jodi - WOohoo! Another partner! I plan to start Monday so you can count on an e-mail. Us girlies need to stick together :-) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The carrying Diana in the Bjorn is my favorite! Hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm gettng a visual of Diana in the Baby Bjorn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I plan on doing the couch to 5k app program in August once I get through my busy summer....I've heard it's great.

    and I'm with you...I HATE running.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd like to see you TRY and strap this tree stump on your back! Ha! Funny thought! You wouldn't make it out the door!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all, I ADORE Kate Winslet. I love everything about her. Great actress, cute, charming, funny, and so sweet. Not to mention, BEAUTIFUL! I have a magazine with her on the cover that I use for inspiration as well:)

    I also HATE running. I think the reason is, I can't run for $#!+

    If I could train my body to handle it better, and not die after 30 seconds, I'd probably love it:) I've always WANTED to like running, and that's a start, right??

    Once I reach my goal weight, I think I am going to check out this couch to 5k program :) Thanks for another incentive and goal!!! Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete