Sunday, June 27, 2010

Some Zebras & a Road Trip

I'll admit...I was never really a zoo lover before I had kids. I'm sure I got excited on field trips when I was a kid myself, but as an adult, I never really had the desire to go to the zoo and walk around. It always seemed way too hot, smelly and dirty for my taste. BUT...things have definitely changed.

Last year was Addie's first trip to the zoo and even though she knew about animals and enjoyed pointing them out, she couldn't exactly say their names. But this year, she told us EXACTLY which animals she wanted to see. First up...a "Kangawoo"...


Next up, the "Elpants". Well...this was actually a metal "Elpant" but it squirted water so it was way cooler than the real thing...


Plus, it was hotter than a mother on Friday so the mist felt really good to her...and daddy :-)


We tried moving on to the animals but Addie was too interested in the water. Go figure...


So we let her have her fun and splash around for a while...


We tried EVERYTHING to get her away from the water. I even offered her an ice cream cone at 10:30a.m. but that didn't work either. But do you know what did? "Zebwas"...her favorite animal.


Daddy even picked her up so she could see them better...


I don't know what it is about Zebras. They don't make any fun noises or do anything particularly cool. They just kind of stand around and eat...


But Addie loves them just the same. Before we left the zoo, we went for a little ride on the carousel. Can you guess which animal she ran to?


And since 1 ride is NEVER enough, Daddy took her on again...


The zoo was so much fun this year, it actually makes me glad we bought a pass because I would like to go back a lot more before the summer is over. Although, preferably on a less-hot day :-)

After getting a good nights sleep after our busy day at the zoo, Addie woke up in anticipation for the road trip ahead. I said, "Addie...do you know who we are going to see today?" and she replied, "Connie!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!" Connie is, of course, her boyfriend Connor and we have been waiting months to drive down and see him.

When we got to Pat and Tara's house, Connor was all smiles. He took Addie right upstairs to show her his new big boy bed. After a good 15 minutes of jumping, the tickle fight broke out. Addie won...


I think Tara and I can admit that when it comes to taking pictures of the kids...we get a liiiiiiiiittle crazy sometimes. We can't help it...they are just too cute!! But Connor and Addie weren't really havin it this time. Addie was willing to smile for a few pics, but Connor was just like "whatevs".


And then when Addie really started hamming it up...


Connor was just like, "Get off me woman"...


Turns out he just wanted to do a little bonding with his new buddy Blake...


But when it was time to leave, Connor went running right back to his girl for some last minute hugs and kisses. I think the two of them were genuinely sad to leave each other...


But don't worry because we plan to go back again very soon. The drive to see Tara and the fam was much easier then I thought it would be with the two kids. Neither of them are very good in the car for long trips, but this time they did pretty well. They still wouldn't sleep. But really, when does this little peanut ever sleep...


And even with Pinky and her baby in hand...this little chic wasn't shutting her eyes for anything...


So mama hopped in back so we could party together. A little Ratatouille and Pirates Booty. Not a bad way to pass the drive :-)


I wish I could say that all of us spent the day relaxing today, but there was a golf outing and a bridal shower to attend. WHEW!!! Its a good thing I am gaining more energy from running because I am going to need it after this busy week!!!

And speaking of running, I know I promised an update on Sundays. I am still getting my group of running buddies together so I promise to post next Sunday with our progress. As for me, I FINISHED WEEK 1!!!! WOOHOO!!! I was going to repeat this week but since I am still feeling good, I think I may move on to Week 2 and see how it goes. I actually managed to get up at 5:30a.m. for a run on Saturday because I knew I wouldn't squeeze it in after our road trip. Now THAT is dedication. I am almost more proud of myself for waking up at 5:30a.m. then I am for completing my first week!! How did the rest of you ladies do??

Hope you all had a FABULOUS weekend!!

6 comments:

  1. Adorable pictures! It looks like you had a great weekend!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! I can't remember the last time I was up at 530, and I certainly wouldn't do it to run! But you did inspire me to take a walk around our neighborhood, I may even make it a regular thing. The pics are so cute! It looks like such a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was amazed when you texted me and told me that you woke up that early! Way to PLAN AHEAD! It's so true that you would have been exhausted and not wanted to run after the road trip! :0)

    Super cute pictures! I laughed outloud thinking of Addie saying "elphant" or however she says it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so great to see you guys this weekend, and Connor had a blast with his girlfriend! After you left, he kept saying "Connor and Addie eat french fries", "Connor and Addie jump on bed", etc.
    See you on Wed. for ECLIPSE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Addie looks so cute sitting in the kangaroo pouch and I love her little ponytail with the blue bow. So sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to hear you're kicking butt at the C25K! :)

    ReplyDelete