Sunday, June 13, 2010

Summer Reading List

Last week, I received my teaching assignment for this coming school year. While every other teacher in the world has been counting down the days until summer, I have been counting down the days until Fall!! I have really missed teaching this semester and I can't wait to get back to the classroom. I am still only teaching one class, but it is enough to get this mama out of the house and keep my brain functioning on a some-what adult level. After all, I do teach college freshman :-)

But with the school year comes the absence of any free time to read books for fun. So I am trying to take advantage this summer and I have put together a little reading list. First up...Eclipse...again :-)


Eclipse is opening in theaters in exactly 17 days. Yes...I am counting :-) I know I have read Eclipse at least 4 times, but I still love it EVERY time I read it. Its just one of those books I can go back to again and again. It makes me even more excited for the movie, if that is even possible.

Next up, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen


My cousin-in-law Becky just read this book and said she had it finished in 2 days because it was so good. They are making it into a movie as well, so I would definitely like to read the book before I go see it. Oh...and it just so happens that Robert Pattinson will be starring in it. Hmmm..

Next up, Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin


I have been meaning to read this book for the past month, but just haven't had a chance to get to it. Luckily, my mom was able to loan it to me and I plan to start it tonight. I have loved every other book by Emily Giffin so I am sure this will be no different.

Next up, Uncharted Territori by my girl Tori Spelling


Tori's latest book comes out on the 15th and I can't wait!!!! I loved Stori Telling and Mommywood so much that I actually preordered this book when I saw she was releasing it. Looking forward to all the funny, random, gossip she has to share :-)

And finally, The Toddler Cookbook by Annabel Karmel


I know this isn't a book I will actually sit down and read, but it is on my list this summer because as it turns out, Addie is just like her Auntie Di and LOVES being in the kitchen. In fact, Aunt Di came over last week to spend some baking time with her "little apple dumplin" :-)

I was SO impressed by how well Addie "followed" Aunt Di's directions. When she told her to stir, she stirred...


When she told her to taste, she tasted (and tasted...and tasted...and tasted)...


When she told her to put her cake in the oven, she put it in the oven (sort of :-)...


When she told her to pose with her pretty little cake for Daddy, she posed with her pretty little cake for Daddy...


And finally, when Aunt Di told her to clean up her mess...she freaking CLEANED UP HER MESS!!!


Now, you know if I would have asked her to do that, she would have said, "No mama. I eat cake fiwst". So now that we have mastered the cake baking, I think we will move on to some new ideas from this cookbook. I think she will love making the mini pizzas and lettuce boats :-) So mark your calendar Aunt Di...we have LOTS of cooking to do!!


10 comments:

  1. i'm not a twilight fan (i know GASP!), but i've read water for elephants. it's enjoyable. my problem is stopping myself from adding books to my kindle before i've read what i have already purchased...know what i mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always amazes me how many books people read! I really wish I enjoyed it more... I've read a few of Giffins books and recently picked up the other two I want to read. Borders didn't have HOTM in paperback yet so I didn't grab it yet. Anyway, I'm just so not a reader. I'm trying to get better though...

    I love the posts about Addie & Auntie! Soooo cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww how cute is she cleaning up & baking?? Adorable! I have a ton of books I want to read this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just let me know what MORNING works for you and we can break in that new Kiddie cookbook! Let me know which book I should try first, you know what I like to read, so point me in that direction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for Tori's new book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heart of the Matter was VERY good. Just finished it. And I just downloaded Water for Elephants to my Nook!!! Lynne, I just got the Nook and I have already 3 books on it and keep wanting to download more before I read what I've got. But we wouldn't want to be stranded without anything to read, now would we?

    Love that Addie and Aunt Di will share a love of cooking!!!! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry Lynne...most avid readers seem to despise the Twilight books. Haha! But I am glad that Water for Elephants was good. I am looking forward to reading it....and the other 4 books I have downloaded already. HA!
    Chelsi - I LOVE reading. I wish I had more time to do it. But you sound like Eric. He couldn't even get through one page without falling asleep. He is SO not a reader :) But hey...if you ever want to get started, all of Emily Giffin's books are great and all of them are in paperback super cheap. They are quick reads that I think you could get into.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, i don't judge. i know i'm in the minority...everyone i know loves the series. just not my thang.
    you and mama should join goodreads. it also gives you the "keeping it organized" high.
    i know. i am not a well woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to look into the Water for Elephants...I haven't heard of that one! I just started Heart of the Matter and so far so good!! Those pictures of her cooking are to die for precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Water for Elephants is one of my all-time-favorite-read-over-and-over again books! I can't wait to hear what you think of it. I think I'm going to re-read the Twilight books. Simply because...I can.

    ReplyDelete