Monday, July 26, 2010

Another Playroom?

I realized the other day that for the first time in almost 3 years, I am not in the middle of a home project. When we moved into our house, there were countless rooms to decorate. And then when those were done, it was time to plan Addie's nursery...


When Addie arrived, she lived comfortably in her beautiful nursery until she turned a year old and it became very obvious that we were going to need a playroom. Enter Grandpa and his awesome handy work...


Together we designed the most adorable playroom and Grandma helped me put together all the final touches. It was perfect, and Addie spent a LOT of her time in there. But then, after we found out that Blake was on his way, it was time to movie Addie into her playroom. It became her "big girl" room and it turned out even cuter than I imagined. Her new crib and dresser fit in the room perfectly...


After Addie's move, I had about 4 months to convert our very girlie nursery into a little boy's room. I had SO MUCH FUN painting in blues and decorating with trucks, trains and planes...


So now that the kid's rooms are complete, I find myself constantly looking for something to change in my house. I love rearranging furniture, recycling different curtains and pillows, slapping some new paint on the wall, etc. I don't know why I am so O.C.D. about my house...but I am. I think it has something to do with the fact that I never feel organized. I am constantly looking for ways to make more space or at the very least...make sense of the space I have. We have a four bedroom house, which means that we have one spare room that we currently use as a guest room/office...



This room use to make a lot of sense. I always felt like I needed an office so that I had a place to go to grade papers, work on the computer, read a book, etc. But what I have come to realize is that I typically grade papers sitting at the kitchen table, I work on the computer in the chair in my bedroom, and I pay bills standing up at the counter in the kitchen. Eric and I NEVER use our office. It has become a catch-all room where we stash paperwork, gifts, toys, and anything else that doesn't have a home elsewhere. I HATE that about this room. I feel like it has become such a waste, especially since the one and only house guest we have is currently pregnant with twins and sadly...I doubt that Tara, Pat, their son Connor and their two new babies will be able to sleep in this tiny little bedroom when they come visit :-)

So...I have been doing a lot of thinking about this room. I had originally thought that it would turn into Blake's big boy room one day, but since it is the smallest room in the house, I am not sure that will be the case. At least not right away. So the only other practical thing I can think to do with this room is turn it into a playroom! I know I know...why on earth would I need another playroom, when both of the kids have their own bedrooms. And that is an excellent point. If we didn't have this spare room, the kids bedrooms would have to suffice. BUT...since we do have the extra space, why not give them a fun place to play? I am starting to worry, at least in Addie's case, that there are too many distractions in her bedroom. She fights sleep a lot of days because she wants to play with her dollhouse, push her baby in the stroller, play with her little laptop computer, etc. So maybe...if some of those larger, more tempting toys were out of her bedroom, she would be able to focus more on sleep and less on play. One can hope anyway :-)

Now that I have decided what I want to do with the room, the hard part begins. Where do I put all of the office necessities that I want to keep out? What do I do with the furniture in the guest room/office? What will I need to turn this spare room into a playroom? What things do I have in my house that I can reuse or refurbish? How do I do all this on a super small budget? SO much to think about...

Anyone else want to admit that they have O.C.D. when it comes to their house? Anyone else feel the need to rearrange furniture at least every other month? I think I need to get some help...hahaha!

10 comments:

  1. First of all, all those rooms are so adorable! You've done a fabulous job!

    We just finally moved into a 3 bedroom from a 2 bedroom and the extra bedroom is for now going to be the computer/craft room. But what happens when the next baby comes along? So many decisions to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow i am so jealous i want all of my rooms in my house to look that amazing!!!

    Great job!

    xoxox
    Lauren
    o hey im also doing a give away right now for childrens boutique clothing... its super cute check it out if you want!!

    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have three bedrooms right now and I always say that this house will get us through one kid... we actually have 3br & a den type of room off of the family room. But, I have a weird thing about always having a spare room. I always want to have a spare bed for whoever whenever they need/want it and it has come in handy since my bff & her Hubby live in CA and I have another bff that has used it from Chicago. :) So, my vote would be to keep the spare room... but you've already vetoed me! Haha! Plus, where am I going to stay?? ;) no worries, I <3 the Holiday Inn... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might add that when the time comes that we need a baby room... we have a slight problem. The cat has her own room. Of course, I have crap in the closet but her stuff takes up the rest of the room. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great winter project is in order to get the kick butt basement finished!! As if you guys have time, right??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, our little guest room! You are right, though. I doubt Pat, Connor, the twins, and I will be making overnight trips anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the idea of turning that room into a playroom. Then each of the kids has their seperate bedrooms - for sleeping, and then a playroom. I will help paint, if you supply the wine. It might take a week and a half as it took us 5 hours to paint a play table and 2 chairs when we were supplied with 2 bottles of wine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have way to much in common :)

    I'm always looking for different ways to spice up the house and de-clutter/organize.

    Those rooms are all beautiful!! I'm jealous!

    The kids will love another playroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to be able to have enough room for a playroom in a house someday! Good luck figuring everything out...I'm sure it will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kids are so lucky that they got chance to sleep in that awful parna. It is looking very nice and I love your sense of arrangement as you have arranged all the things very nicely and properly.
    Office screens

    ReplyDelete