Thursday, July 1, 2010

What's Wrong With Being a Dork?

I mean, I spent the better part of my life as a dork and have pictures to prove it...


So when my friend Joe became the 11th person to call me a dork in the past 24 hours, I finally asked the important question...What's wrong with being a dork? So I like young adult fiction and wearing silly t-shirts that support movies based on young adult fiction. What's the big deal? Just because I have two degrees in English doesn't mean that I am a literary genius and have impeccable taste in books. Perhaps I should be reading the classics and have the ability to recite excerpts from Chaucer...but I don't. I like reading chic books, mommy books, and teenage romance books. None of them will go down in history as great masterpieces, but who cares? They bring me joy :-)

And speaking of being a dork, I think everyone is guilty (at least to some extent) of having a few dorky quirks. For example, you might be a 31-year-old man that still reads comic books. Or maybe you are a 28-year-old man that finds joy in clipping coupons and going grocery shopping with your best friend who is also a 28-year-old man. Or maybe you are a 55-year-old woman that participates in an online knitting chat-board. You see...we can ALL be dorks from time to time. And to be honest....I think being a dork is fun!! It makes life better somehow because as a dork, you learn to not worry about what other people think of you. So...to all you fellow dorks out there...feel proud when you were your Twilight t-shirts, buy comic books, grocery shop with your bromance and chat online about knitted socks!! And better yet, why don't all of you confess your dorky traits here. I would LOVE to read them :-)

13 comments:

  1. This picture is classic!!! I am proud to be a dork now and then!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with ya, sister. You can join my nerd herd anytime. Nothing wrong with admitting you're not that cool all the time.

    And I'm also with you on the young adult fiction. I read Wake, Fade, and Gone - a 3 part and fell in LOVE with it. Now I find out they are turning those into movies, and I'm pumped. Read them so that I have someone to go to the movies with!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have too many dorky traits, but it makes life fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love being called as a dork though most of people never think me as one unless they really knew me to the deepest level ha-ha-ha =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm not the only one to have posted my pre-contacts, childhood picture!!

    I love scrabble and other goofy games like Battleship. It's really dorky :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, quit calling me a dork just because I drove to Wisconsin to meet an online friend that I have never met and have "chatted" with for 1 1/2 years. And thank you for not mentioning my denim jumpers with birdhouse pins.

    And you thought you were really cool when you went to school for that classic 5th grade picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My students call me a dork every time I try to use their teen lingo in a sentence. My friends call me a dork whenever I go out and meet my former students for dinner/drinks. I'm a dork because I read young adult fiction, write on two blogs, AND love the Real Housewives from any city. It's filthy. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm right there with ya, hook! Clearly I'm a dork as well since I wore my t-shirt and went to the movie with you yesterday.
    Like you said, everyone is a dork in some way. Nothing to be ashamed of!
    And FYI, I think I had the same glasses when I was in 4th grade. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might be the biggest dork ever. (Ok...not really, but I'm pretty nerdy:)

    I'm easily obsessed with chicky tv series, such as the O.C. and One Tree Hill.

    I read teen fiction like I watch those good dramas on tv. :)

    I play mario and zelda on nintendo.

    and there's tons more...but I just can't think of them:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a grandfather and I just finished reading all 7 Harry Potter books for the fourth or fifth time. And I blog! Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We don't clip coupons. We just scam Jewel because Jewel sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love that picture!!!
    love ya
    POPS

    ReplyDelete
  13. I Love it when my friends call me a dork :) I just reply "So?". Life is waaaaay more fun as a dork than one of those stuck up snobs anyways!

    ReplyDelete