Sunday, August 1, 2010

Animals, Best Friends & Helpers

That is what our weekend consisted of...Animals, Best friends and helpers.

On Friday morning, it looked like it was going to be the perfect rainy day to stay in and get something done around the house. But when my mom suggested taking the kids to the zoo I thought...hmm...might not be a bad idea on a cloudy day. Plus, I was looking for any reason to get out cleaning :-)

I am happy to say that despite the cloudiness, Friday turned out to be the PERFECT day for the zoo! It was cool and breezy, which felt nice for a change. The air quality was even good enough to see the Chicago skyline on the way there...


I discovered that going to the zoo on a cloudy/possibly rainy day is the way to go. Lines are short and you can always get up close to see the animals...


And when the sun isn't beating down on me, it's nice to be able to take Blake for a ride in the Bjorn...


And of course, when the zoo isn't crowded, you can ride the carousel not once...


But twice, without even having to get off your Panda :-)


Thanks for the great idea Nana! Cloudy days at the zoo it is!!

On Friday night, I got a rare and special treat...a night out with my BFF Tiffany! We rarely get to see each other, let alone be together without the kiddies, so we took full advantage of our freedom and headed out for some cocktails. Our other BF Erin joined us later in the evening and we spent our 4 blissful hours laughing and talking. I truly miss being able to do that with my girls whenever I want, but the one great thing about having these nights far and few between is that when you do get together, you appreciate it so much more. And no matter how much time passes, the three of us always pick up right where we left off...


Because I don't get the opportunity to go out (or drink more than one glass of wine) that often, Saturday morning came fast and furious. I still managed to get in my hardest run yet (which I will save for another post), and then it was time to get some R&R with Eric and the kids. Uncle Joe even came over for dinner and brought us ice cream. I treated myself to a banana split and it was worth every single calorie :-)

I am glad we were able to relax a bit on Saturday because today...it was down to business. Eric called in all of his best helpers (Joe, my brother Ryan, my brother Adam, my brother-in-law Kevin, and my Dad) to help with our fence. As you can see, it was in desperate need of staining...


When Eric told me our fence needed to be restained, I figured it was just a weekend job. I mean really, how much work could it be? Well...after almost 6 weekends worth of work, I realize that "restaining" a fence means that you must 1.) Power wash the entire thing, 2.) Rinse and Pre-treat it and 3.) Have all your buddies over to help you stain it. It is no easy job and I have a new appreciation for people who do this for a living. Luckily, Eric has great friends and family to help him so the guys were finally able to finish the job today. And just look how BEAUTIFUL it turned out...


I know Eric is beyond relieved to have this project done, and I can't tell you how happy I am to have my husband back. His O.C.D. was in full swing with this fence and I am happy we have a little bit of summer left to enjoy together :-) I would just like to give a big THANK YOU to my brothers, my brother-in-law, my Dad and our buddy Joe for helping today. You guys rock :-)

So there you have it...our weekend in a nutshell. Did anyone else do anything fun our productive this weekend?

2 comments:

  1. The fence looks GREAT! When do we get to hear the rest of the story? HAAHHAA!!!

    ReplyDelete