Thursday, August 5, 2010

Operation HMB: Running Update Week 7

I can't believe it. I am just one run away from completing Week 7 of the Couch to 5K Program!!!!! And I couldn't be more proud of myself for making it this far. I haven't missed one run and I truly believe it is due to all the support and encouragement I have been getting from my friends and family. Everyone seems pretty impressed that I managed to stick to this program, which makes me even more excited to show them the progress I have made by signing up for my first 5k RACE!!!!!

The race is just a small one in my town, but it will be great practice for the larger races I hope to do this fall/winter. The race is on September 11, which means I have just a little over a month to train. I thought about doing my first 5K as a walk/run combo, but since I am already running 2.5 miles WITHOUT WALKING...I know I will be able to run the entire 3.1 miles. Gosh...I just can't believe I am actually saying that!! I don't think I have ever run more than a mile in my life, and now I am talking about being able to run 3 miles!! If this isn't proof to all of you running haters out there...I don't know what is!!

Over the past few weeks, I have been getting a lot of friends and family interested in the program and I thought I would just offer some helpful advice now that I am almost finished. Here are some lessons I have learned:

1. Be consistent. I haven't missed one run in 7 weeks and I truly believe that is why I have been able to progress as quickly as I have.

2. Always run at the time of day you function best. I learned pretty quickly that I am a morning runner. Running in the afternoon, in the heat, after a loooong day with the kids, was not the right time for me. The runs always hurt a lot more and I felt like I didn't have the same amount of energy. But...there are lots of people that feel that way about the morning. So again...do what is best for you and stick with that time of day for all your runs.

3. Spend the money on good shoes and insoles. And while you are at it, make sure you have comfortable running clothes. I said I wouldn't be caught dead in shorts this summer but after running in a pair I got from Target, I was sold. It was so much cooler and easy to move.

4. DRINK MORE WATER! I can't tell you the difference I feel now that I started drinking more water during the day.

5. And finally, get some friends on board with you. All the support I have had around me has made a HUGE difference. Even if it is just one partner, make sure you have someone you can talk to and encourage.

Even though my runs have been great, I really need to step up my strength training. I keep saying I will do more, but I just haven't found a routine I like yet. My friend Joe suggested I get a balance ball and I have been reading a lot of stuff about the balance ball/resistance band combo to help get you in shape at home. I did a little looking around online, and I came across the Gaiam Total Body Balance Ball Kit.


I found it on CSN Stores and I can't wait to try it out. If you have never been to CSN stores before, you seriously have to go right now and check it out. They have everything from dinnerware, to baby furniture, to fitness equipment! The folks on their blogging team are actually sending me this fabulous Gaiam Total Body Balance Ball Kit to review and after I do so, they are also letting me GIVE ONE AWAY!!! So stay tuned for that review and giveaway in the near future friends :-)

Well that's all I have for my running update this week! The next time I check in I will be on my LAST WEEK OF THE PROGRAM!!! Woohoo!! Be sure to leave a comment today if you are still doing the program and let everyone know what you think so far. And, if you are getting interested in starting, feel free to leave a comment with any questions you might have.

Have a great Thursday everyone!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you!!! I am sad that I, unlike you, have missed several runs... I do think that has affected my ability to stick with it!

    I mean, I still am doing it and I will finish... but being consistent and not missing any runs is probably really ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! I am going to start running as soon as things settle down around me. I can't wait to start!

    ReplyDelete