Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Summer Reading List Reviews

With the school year starting next week, I can see that my "reading for fun" time is coming to an end. But that's okay because despite our crazy schedule this summer, I have managed to read a ton of really great books. Here are some quick reviews of the books in my Nook library :-)

The first book I read this summer (after re-reading the Twilight Series of course :-) was Emily Giffin's Heart of the Matter...


I think Emily Giffin is a fantastic writer and I have loved every book she has ever written. This book is no exception. She has a wonderful way of developing characters and making them so real...you feel like she is talking about one of your friends. And while I did love this book for that reason, I still wish I hadn't read it because it is a little too real and too sad for me at this point in my life. The book illustrates some of the challenges that couples go through when they have children and being a new parent who is always working to strengthen my relationship with my husband, it gets a little discouraging to read stories about couples who can't make it work. It makes me sad, especially since the circumstances are real. They aren't "fiction" in the sense that they couldn't happen to you. Now, I am not saying that Eric and I are going through anything like the couple in the book, but it still breaks my heart because as a mother and a wife, I can only imagine what it would feel like to be in the main character's shoes. So...with that said...I would recommend this book as long as you are prepared to shed a tear or two.

The next book I read was I'd Trade My Husband for a Housekeeper: Loving Your Marriage After the Baby Carriage by Trisha Ashworth and Amy Nobile.


Okay...I know you are seeing a trend here but I swear...it is just coincidental that this book is about husbands and relationships too :-) I just really loved the last two books I read by these authors and I wanted to read their latest installment. This book was FANTASTIC!!! I love the honesty in their writing and it comforts me to know that all mothers are experiencing a lot of the same challenges and feelings. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a good laugh and perhaps even a good cry as it touches on some topics that are hard to admit sometimes. Like the author's last two books, I would almost place this in "Self-Help" because you will walk away feeling like you saw a shrink :-)

The next book on my reading list was Tori Spelling's new book Uncharted TerriTori...


Everyone knows I am a big Tori Spelling fan, as much as I hate to admit it sometimes :-) But I have enjoyed her last two books a lot and I was expecting to feel the same way about this one. But if you watched even a few episodes of their reality show this year, save your money and do NOT buy this book. It was basically a dictated version of their reality show. I can tell that Tori's publishers were probably hounding her for a new book and since she had already explored her life before Dean, her life after meeting Dean and the experiences she had becoming a mom...the only thing left to do was talk about all her problems. This book goes back and forth between her health issues, and her relationship issues with Dean. Some of the chapters were funny and I do appreciate Tori's honesty and humor. I almost feel bad for slamming the book, but it was obvious that she didn't know what to talk about so she just told a bunch of random stories that her fans already saw played out on TV. I was very disappointed :-(

Now, after these last three books, I desperately needed to escape reality and head to my comfort zone...young adult lit. Ha! So, I read the follow-up book to Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. The second book in the series is called Linger...


Very rarely can an author write a follow-up book with new supporting characters that actually steal the show. In Shiver, we fell in love the main characters Sam and Grace. We follow their love story and history and we are left with a HUGE cliff hanger. I honestly couldn't wait for Linger to come out because I had to know what happens to these characters. But as I read this book, I became so much more interested in the newest couple, Cole and Isabel, that I almost wanted to skip the parts with Sam and Grace! Maggie Stiefvater is an amazing author and even though it may seem like she has jumped on the werewolf bandwagon, she approaches the subject in a much more scientific way that almost makes the idea of werewolves seem possible. Its not as fantasy as other books like it out there, but that is what makes it stand out to me. I really, really enjoyed both books and I can't wait for Forever to be released next summer!

My friend Jenn shares a love of young adult lit with me so we often e-mail each other with book recommendations. She sent me a link to this series over the summer and I was able to finish all three books. They are Wake, Fade, and Gone by Lisa McMann


I thought this series was great. It's about a girl named Janie who has the ability to enter people's dreams. Obviously, this talent can be incredibly useful, and incredibly dangerous and I loved how the author was able to explore both sides of her ability. It is considered Young Adult lit, but I feel like it would appeal to a lot of adults too. It wasn't as teen angsty as some YA books I have read, which is a nice change of pace. Jenn informs me that these books have been picked up as movie options and I really look forward to seeing them on the big screen :-)

Currently, I am reading another adult vampire series that my SIL Diana recommended, called the Night Huntress Series and so far the first book is great. My pace on these is going to be a little slower with school coming, but I can tell I am going to be hooked. If you are a fan of the show True Blood...you will totally dig these books :-)

I still have yet to read Water for Elephants but I may make that my next read in order to give me a little sci-fi break :-) Did anyone else read any great books this summer? I would love to know what to add to my list for Christmas break :-)

5 comments:

  1. :) You have to read the entire Jeanniene Frost series...that ought to keep you busy for a long time!

    Then Black Dagger Brotherhood...grrr...

    Then Sookie...

    In that order!

    Sleep is over-rated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading Heart of the Matter...it's great, and just like her other books, I can't put it down. It is pretty heart breaking though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had toris new book on my night stand for a month but it always gets set aside for whatever baby/ breastfeeding book I acquire...LOL. Maybe I need some 'adult' reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved The Help, Sarah's Key, Those Who Save Us- All very touching books.

    Also read Heart of the Matter- good beach read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendations! I'm always looking for new books to read.

    ReplyDelete