Monday, August 9, 2010

Time for a Big Girl Bed??

When Addie was a baby, I was scared to even have a bumper on her crib. Whenever you read SIDS warnings they tell you to keep all toys, blankets and bumpers out of the crib for at least the first 6 months. So I did. I kept everything out of Addie's crib until she formed an attachment to her blanket "Pinky". And when I started letting her sleep with Pinky, it led to sleeping with a dolly. And a teddy bear. And a book. And a sippy cup of water. And a pillow. You get the idea.

But now, at 2 years old, she has decided she wants to sleep with her ENTIRE bedroom. No joke. This is how she slept the other night...


The reason Addie insisted on taking 7 babies, 2 Bla Bla dolls, a book, a sippy cup and a random stuffed Easter egg to bed is because she can't get in and out of her crib. She still hasn't learned how to get out and I have been thanking my lucky stars for MONTHS because it is nice knowing that once she is in bed for the night...she is staying there.

But when she goes to bed at night, she likes to play by herself for a little while. She likes to look at a book, talk to her dolly, take a drink of water, etc. and when she can't get out of her crib to get these things...she cries. Loud. And then in the morning when she wants to do the same thing, she cries again. Even louder. At 5:00 a.m. I keep waiting for the day when she decides she won't wait for me to come in and just jumps the side of her crib. I think she is scared to do it, which is a good thing because I don't want her to hurt herself.

BUT...I know it is only a matter of time. I know I am not going to be able to keep her in her crib until Kindergarten (as much as I would like to :-) so I am starting to wonder if it is time for a big girl bed. Her crib converts into a toddler bed which is an easy change. We already have the toddler rail waiting in the basement. We just need to bite the bullet and do it. Or should we?

I need some advice. If your 2 year old was still staying in their crib at night and not trying to escape, would you keep them in their crib until they did learn? Would you take advantage of those last few months of security? Or would you transition now, knowing that it was only a matter of time? I like the idea of her being able to get in and out to grab a book if she wants one and not scream for one of us to come in. BUT...the ability to get in and out of bed whenever she wants might create even bigger problems. Again...we will have to deal with this at some point, but it is better to do it now while I am still up in the middle of the night with Blake anyway? Or take advantage of the crib time I have left and wait it out? Any insight on this subject would be much appreciated :-)

6 comments:

  1. Jen I say go for it! You may find that it's easier for you. Like Addie, Emma sleeps with a million things in her twin bed and she too likes to read and play a little before she nods off. Surprisingly Emma never left her bed. When she'd wake up she'd just call for us. Now I told her when she's ready to get up in the morning or from her nap, she just comes down (she's upstairs). She never gets out of her bed or room in the middle of the night or after we've put her down. Thank goodness! And Emma never tried to get out of her crib, I just wanted her adjusted before Sam arrived. The night we put it together she wanted nothing to do with her crib anymore. She HAD to sleep in her big girl bed! I say go for it! A little independence might be what she needs. Just set the rules and I'm sure it'll be great for you too!

    Sorry for my super long comment. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well.... Isaac has been out of his crib since he was 18 months, because Isaac, well, he's a climber. He has a gate at the front of his door, so he still can't leave his room, but he does have free reign in there. The main problem for us is that he is STILL a climber and climbs his other furniture too.... but he so far hasn't escaped from his room or hurt himself. I know the gate at the door is going to be a problem once we start potty training... but for right now, it does the job. I am sure Addie is going to do GREAT!!! Good luck! (I mean it will make for GREAT blogging if it doesn't! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evan is still in his crib and we're in no hurry to change that! Like you, we love the idea of knowing that once he's in bed, he's in bed. He seems very content with it actually so that's another reason for us to wait.

    I say whatever feels right for you guys, you should do that. If you're afraid of her hurting herself when she does climb out, them maybe the time is now. BUT, all kids go through this and I'm sure many have bonked their heads and they're just fine! haha! But really, whatever makes you guys feel the most comfortable.

    That picture is adorable! Evan has that same book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen-
    When we moved to the new house I converted Z's bed. At 2 1/2 I figured he wasn't long for a crib anymore. I actually transitioned him into a full sized bed instead of a toddler bed(He has a 3 in 1) which was quite the change, but he took it in stride. I bought safety rails for both sides and even though I think he could get out if he wanted to he hasn't yet so that's good. I think you have to do what you feel is right for Addie and your family. Maybe ask her how she feels about having a "big girl bed". If she is excited by the idea, run with it... get her some new blankets, a new toy, something to make it a special transition. It is sort of sad when they leave the crib because it makes you face the fact that they aren't that little baby anymore. And speaking of little babies, where did our go....Blake is such a big boy and Matt is getting ready to crawl any day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Madison is still in her crib as well. Although she has (rarely) climbed out of her pack n' play at my parent's house, she has never climbed out of her crib at home. I think when they start to show signs that they want to transition, that's when you go with it. There's no right or wrong in terms of when you do it and you're not up against a time line since Blake is already here and has his own crib. Maybe wait it out for a few more months and evaluate again after the holidays. She'll be closer to 3 and I'm sure will have more of an opinion on the matter. But, try bringing up the subject to her and see what she says. Sometimes they don't want change unless they solicit it. Just a thought. :) -Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like Addie is ready for a change! Go for it!! Consider skipping the toddler bed and going right for the regular size bed...it's one less transition that she will have to make. And she will do great!

    ReplyDelete