Wednesday, September 15, 2010

10 Days Until my First 5K!!!

When I started the Couch to 5K program in June, I set a very lofty goal for myself. I wanted to run my first 5K before my 30th birthday. Now, since my 30th birthday is October 11th, I had to pick a race sometime before that. I was hoping I could find a race on October 10th (Haha!) but the best I could do was the Plainfield Harvest Fest on September 26th.


The race is close to home and because the fest is going on at the same time, we can all stay to enjoy the festivities once the race is over. I realized today that the race is only 10 DAYS AWAY! AHHHHH!!!!!

But that's okay because I think I am ready. I have been running 3 to 3 1/2 miles every other morning for the past 3 weeks and I know I can do it. I have been timing all of my runs and the best 5K I have ever run is 32 minutes. I would LOVE to shave off another minute or two, but we will see how it goes :-) I will just be happy to finish.

Now, in addition to setting a pre-birthday goal, I also said that I would like to run a second 5K before the fall is over. Since I am already running one race close to home, I thought it would be fun to run my second race in the city. There are literally hundreds of 5Ks in Chicago throughout the year and I have been trying to decide which one to register for. Well, the other day a friend of mine told me about the Hot Chocolate 5K/15K sponsored by Ghirardelli. This is pretty much the best race I have ever heard of. So first you run...


And then you go eat chocolate...


Seriously?!!! Why aren't all races like this?!!! I told Eric about this race the other night and he said, "So...you are going to run three miles and then go eat chocolate? Will chocolate even taste good after working out?"

Apparently, he forgot who he was talking to. I personally think that chocolate tastes good before, during and after just about every event in life. So yeah...I plan to run three miles and then eat my body weight in chocolate :-) Sounds F-ing amazing actually.

So...there you have it! My 5K races are on the calendar...now I just have to run them. Anyone else sign up for their first 5K recently? I know a lot of you started the program with me...did anyone else finish? I would love to hear from you all!!!

7 comments:

  1. I think I am with Eric on this one. My first thought was of hurling actually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I signed up for my first 5K and just started the C25K program. I'm on day 2 of week 1. My race is a Halloween race on October 30th. I used to run cross country in high school.

    I found your blog through www.heatherhelvey.blogspot.com and clicked on your post when it said something about a 5k. Small world. Where is this chocolate race? In Chicago? I live in South Bend (Northern Indiana) and my brother lives in Chicago and that race sounds A-MAZING!!! :)

    Good luck with your run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The company my cousin works for puts on this race! I worked it last year, and it is so fun!!! More chocolate than you can imagine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've heard great things about the chocolate race. A lot of runners in my group ran last year and loved it...and the gave away the cutest sweatshirts! I think I'm doing that one this year for sure! good luck on your race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Di - No way jose. The chocolate might just make me want to run again to burn it off :-)

    Michelle - The Hot Chocolate race is in Chicago in Grant Park on November 6th. Click the link in my post and you can get all the info. It looks like SO much fun!!! Good luck on your program! I "graduated" from C25K a couple of weeks ago. It really does work!!

    KatieMc - That is why I am signing up ASAP. Ha!

    Happy - Thanks for the luck lady! Looking forward to the cute sweatshirt as much as the chocolate. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I "liked" your post on Facebook, but just wanted to tell you an early good luck!! And you can do it! I know you can!

    Also, have you considered starting the Bridge to 10k program? We started that this week. Pretty much starts you off at 4miles (if you run a 10 minute mile) and we have been running faster than that, as to help prepare us for a 5k. :) It's helping so that wen we go to run a 5k it feels easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I wish I would be ready by then!!! Could I walk part of it???

    ReplyDelete