Thursday, September 23, 2010

Looking on the Bright Side

It's hard to look on the bright side during weeks like this. Wakes, funerals, saying goodbye...none of it is easy.

But I tried really hard, for Aunt Odie's sake, to find the bright side of today. After all, Aunt Odie would have wanted it that way. She loved her family and even though she never had children, she treated my mom and all of her sisters and cousins like they were her own. And she treated all of us grandkids like we were her own too. Before she got sick, Aunt Odie was at every birthday party, Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas Eve and special event that I can remember. She was always there to celebrate with us and I know that she was smiling down from heaven today as she watched all of her family laughing and having fun together.

And if I had to guess, I would say the person that had the most fun today was Addie. She got to meet my adorable second cousins Brittany and Maria...


Maria is 14 and cute as a button. Addie fell in love with her right away and Blake was pretty smitten too...


Addie didn't leave her side the ENTIRE morning...


The two of them played and danced and had a ball...


I can't tell you how much I wish that all of my mom's extended family lived a little closer, but seeing how happy everyone was to finally be together today might have inspired all of us to have a much-needed family reunion in the near future :-)

I will miss my Aunt Odie so much but I am at peace tonight knowing that she is in heaven. I will never wear sparkles or fancy shoes without thinking of her, but I take comfort in knowing that I will see her, and my friend Dave, again some day. Hug your loved ones extra tight friends...life is short. Enjoy every minute :-)

1 comment:

  1. Addie looks so cute in her outfit! :) I'm sure Odie would have thought so too!!! I'm glad you got to see your extended family... although I wish the circumstances were better.

    ReplyDelete