Wednesday, October 6, 2010

All Trips to the Pumpkin Farm Should Start with Pumpkin Pie French Toast

Ever since I got my new Gooseberry Patch Homemade Harvest cookbook, I have been dying to make this Make-Ahead Pumpkin Pie French Toast. I like anything I can prepare at night and pop in the oven the next morning. And since I knew my mom and grandma were coming over before heading to the pumpkin farm today, I thought it was a perfect opportunity to try it out.


The peanut gallery said the french toast was "DELICIOUS!!" I would have personally liked mine a little more firm which would have required an extra 15 minutes of baking. But my mom and grandma said they liked it a little gooey in the middle so depending on your preference, I would alter cooking time :-)

It really was delicious and a perfect recipe for an autumn breakfast. In fact, ALL of the recipes in this cookbook have been great so far! I would highly recommend picking up a copy. But in the meantime, I will share this recipe in case you want to try it. It was SUPER easy.

Make-Ahead Pumpkin Pie French Toast

1 loaf of French or Hawaiian bread, 1 inch slices
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. egg substitute
1 c. half-and-half
1-1/2 c. milk
1/4 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
1 T. pumpkin pie spice
1.2 c. brown sugar, packed
1 to 2 T. butter, sliced

Arrange bread slices in the bottom of a greased 13"x9" baking pan. Whisk together eggs, egg substitute, half-and-half, milk, salt, vanilla and spice. Stir in brown sugar; pour mixture over bread slices. Refrigerate, covered, overnight. Dot top with butter and bake, uncovered, at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Serves 8.

So after our delicious breakfast, we headed out the door to meet Aunt Diana at the Pumpkin Farm!! Addie was so excited to be back this year...


She was all over the place!


The pumpkin farm has several play houses for the kids and I swear she could have played just in this section for hours.


Such a goof...


The only thing that pulled her away was the opportunity to "drive Nana to Target"


Great Nana hitched a ride too. Can you believe this woman is in her 80s?


The constant ringing of the fire truck bell woke Blake up so he joined in on the fun too :-)


I think he liked being able to drive himself...


Every year, the pumpkin farm has this growth chart and I don't know what it is...but the kids will NEVER cooperate when we stand them in front of it! Just look at poor Blake...he was SO not digging this picture. Sorry kids...I had to get at least one :-)


Don't worry, they were both all better once we let them run (or crawl) free to pick out their pumpkins...


Blake was so damn cute playing with all of them...


And Addie had to literally rub each one to make sure there were no "boo-boos"...


When the kiddies started to get frustrated that they couldn't pick up the big pumpkins by themselves, we moved to the smaller pile...


And then posed for a few more pictures...


Look at this little ham...


He had such a fun time today...


And so did Miss Addie, who fell in love with all the animals...


I guess I should have let her go right in to pet them, but Aunt Di found a great spot for a few more pictures...



I promised Addie that if she smiled one more time for me, Aunt Di would take her to see all the animals...


She saw some piggies...


And a cow...


And a turkey...


And finally...a bunch of goats...


She loved petting the goats and kept asking to go in with them. Here she is trying to find a way into the pen. Thank God Aunt Di was there or I might have found Addie riding one. Ha!


While Addie was over with the animals, Great Nana surprised Blake with a new toy from the gift shop...


It's just a little pumpkin hammer that makes a noise like a turkey. Blake thought it was the funniest thing ever!!!


When Addie heard the toy, she came sprinting over to ask Great Nana where hers was. Great Nana knew better so she had one waiting for her :-) Addie made sure to thank her with a BIG hug and kiss...


Before we left, I insisted we get one group picture. As you can see, the kids were SO OVER pictures so this was the best we got...


Oh well...it was a beautiful day and I think we all had a great time. Now I have two tired kids and a trunk full of pumpkins. Fall is officially here :-)

7 comments:

  1. Next year when Beek is bigger we can do the train too! :)

    Thanks for letting me tag along it was a perfect day to be outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip to the pumpkin farm looks just perfect! The outing to the pumpkin patch is my very favorite fall tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! I love Blake's Illinois hat!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun!!! Will you make me pumpkin french toast!? Yum O!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful day with great memories! I am anxiously awaiting the blog sale.... :-)

    Hope all is well friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute! :) Looks like it was the perfect day for it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The output field of pumpkins is my favorite fall tradition.

    ReplyDelete