Friday, October 1, 2010

Eco-Friendly Friday: Starting or Adding to Your Reusable Shopping Bag Stash for $25 or Less

I often find that many people are reluctant to start carrying reusable shopping bags because of the upfront cost. In fact, I was just grocery shopping the other day when a woman looked at my stash of reusable bags and said, "I would love to start carrying all those cute shopping bags but I just can't afford to buy them all!" But then I watched that same woman purchase 4 magazines, two packs of gum and a Burts Bees chapstick that was by the register. That was at least $20-$25 worth of non-essential merchandise that could have started her very own reusable shopping bag stash.

What people don't realize is that you don't need a million reusable bags to get started. In my experience, it only takes 3-5 reusable bags to carry home a normal load of groceries for my family. But the real key is to buy quality reusable bags that won't fall apart after only a month or two of use. That is where the cost goes up. You may save a bundle initially by buying the $1 and $2 bags offered in your grocery store, but when they fall apart and you have to buy a whole new set every few months, you are spending well beyond what a nice quality set would have cost from the beginning.

So with that in mind...I have put together a little list of great reusable shopping bag sets that are $25 or less to help you get started.




There is no excuse not to have these bags with you at all times, considering they roll up into a ball the size of your hand. Such a smart idea. $24.95 a set.



My SIL Meagan uses BAGGU bags and she loves them. She says they hold a TON of groceries and they wash up really well. $21.95 a set.



The original Workhorse by REUSEIT is literally the lightest bag on the market. This makes a huge difference when you are lugging heavy groceries, so I can see why this is a best seller. And at $17.85 a set...it is also the best value on the market :-)

Now, if you just can't let go of the cuteness factor and want to spend the extra money for some Envirosax, you don't have to invest in one of their larger sets. You can buy them individually, which will get you a set of 3 for under $25. And really...sometimes cuteness is worth the extra money :-)


And finally, if you want to reduce the number of bags you carry, opt for one or two large bags like this Reisenthel Mini Maxi Hauler...


For just $17.95, you can carry all of your groceries for a small trip in one bag and avoid the pile.

So you see grocery store lady...there are lots of options for starting a quality stash of reusable shopping bags at a reasonable price. And the only thing better than starting your stash for $25 and under is starting it FOR FREE!!!!!

That's right friends, REUSEIT.com is letting my give away a $25 gift certificate that you can use on any of their hundreds of AWESOME reusable items. You can start your own shopping bag stash, invest in some great new water bottles, or even put money towards your very own Reisenthel market basket!!! It's easy to enter. Here's what you have to do...

* Your first mandatory entry is to leave a comment on this post letting me know what you would spend the $25 gift certificate on if you won.

* You can earn an additional entry by becoming a REUSEIT.com fan on Facebook. Just leave a separate comment letting me know that you are, or became a fan.

That's all!! You have until next Friday, October 8th to enter. I will select a winner Friday morning and post the name on next Friday's Eco-Friendly post. Be sure to spread the word!!! Happy Friday everyone!!

32 comments:

  1. It's funny that you posted about this today because on Wednesday I just placed my order for the first time with Reuseit... I bought the Reisenthel market basket, bags and the DIY cleaning kit along with those reusable paper towels. I can't wait to get it all and try it out. It is something I have wanted to do for a long time now. I also did sign up on FB and love the comments I get from them. Thanks Jen for getting me started on this new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog!! I am already a fan of reuseit.com on Facebook!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great giveaway!! I would use the gift certificate for muslin produce & snack bags!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Love your blog! I'm already a fan of reuseit.com on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your giveaway! Thanks! I think I would either put it towards a Reisenthel market basket or get some of those great wrap n' mats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could totally use the Baggu Reusable Shopping Bag Set of 3 in Pinks.

    I probably have $50 worth of reusable shopping bags that I have purchased from every store that I shop at. My biggest problem is storing the bags. They are all so big and do not fold down compactly. They also take up way too much room in the shopping cart. Therefore, I've just stopped using them.

    I like that the Baggu bags fold up very tiny and have the handy little pouch to store them in. I can easily leave them in my car and put them in the seat next to my son in the shopping cart.

    I would love to win!

    I've been following your blog for several months now. I'm not sure what blog I found you from. When I found out that you were a Mueller, I continued to read and enjoy. I am married to a Mueller from southern Illinois.

    Love your blog!
    ~Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just "liked" reusit.com on Facebook.
    ~Tricia Mueller

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would spend the $25 gift certificate on some of the Reisenthel bags. I have a lot of Chico bags which i love for the lightweight and tiny factors, but would love a few really cute bags when i'm doing a smaller shop and don't need to haul a ton home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a fan of Reusit on facebook. i have ordered from them many many times and have always received awesome customer service and speedy shipping. they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are wonderful! Thanks, for reminding me to take my bags to the market! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would try the Baggu...my stash is getting down there! I think my mom steals them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this!
    I would buy a bunch of bags, and probably end up spending double what I would win, and then keep one or two, and give the rest as Halloween or Christmas presents to my stubborn friends. I already have some great bags, including some my sister sent me from England for my birthday last year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would get a Reuseit Earthtote and a set of produce bags.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Reuseit on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore my Chicos for groceries, but would love some Envirosax for when I'm out shopping with my girlfriends and want something cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would add to my workhorse bag collection. Love those bags! I end up giving one way every time I visit friends and family back home. I love to show them off and then they fall in love. I have five bags that are over six years old and still going strong!

    I am a fan of reuseit

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a big reuseit.com fan. I would probably buy some more Baggu bags... those are my favorite, aside from the ones with the little plastic water bottle pattern on them.

    Already a fan on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love reuseit! I get a TON of complements on my olivesmart bags (bought from reuseit, although no longer sold there :(!) and my reisnthal mini-maxi shopper in eden purple. I would put the GC towards a market basket I've been dying to get!! I got to fondle one at a Container store...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm also already a fan/like reusit!! :) (whatever they call it these days!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would get the REUSIT Original Workhouse Set and some produce bags

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am already a fan of REUSIT.com on facebook - that's how I found out about your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am a fan of Reuseit on Facebook as well. I just placed my first order with them recently and recieved a free original workhorse reusable bag. I love it! I would buy a whole set with the $25.00 gift certificate!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a stash of the orginal workhorse bags that I love!! I would either get a couple more of those or the Rume stand up bag or a food thermos for going to school this winter! Less waste & better than fast food - gotta love that!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would buy the big bag. Since it zips, it could hold all of the other reusable bags I have nice and compactly.

    Right now they are all stored in my car in a printer paper box. My rule if I forget to take my bags in is that I can't take any plastic or paper bags from the store. All the groceries go back in the cart and I have to load my car as the penalty. It's amazing how quickly you get in the habit to remember your bags if you have this penalty!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just became a fan of reuseit on facebook. I really like their lunch bags!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would soooo use the gift certificate on the "cute" reusable bags!! I need to get a stash started b/c I have none!!! Seeing all the different bags makes me want them all!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I already like reuseit.com on Facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always want to get myself few of good quality reusable bags, but consider the prices of nice reusable begs, I stepped away myself from it.

    Now I am using those reusable bags which given away as free gifts when I purchased certain products. I will use the gift voucher to realize my desire to buy high quality reusable bags from reuseit.com

    I am already a fan of Reuseit facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I want the Reisenthel basket and the reusable paper towels!!! I got my first order from Reuseit last week and I'm happy with the bags I bought, sponges and snack bags.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like them on FB... How lucky are they to have an awesome ambassador like YOU!? Guarantee you have increased their business! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love and light factors, but I want some really cute bags when I do a small shop and do not need to carry a ton house.

    ReplyDelete