Friday, October 15, 2010

Eco-Friendly Friday: Using Essential Oils

As an Ambassador for Reuseit.com, I have a lot of great perks. One of which is getting to test new products and share them with all of you! My most recent test-run was with these Aura Cacia essential oils...


I chose the Lemongrass and Cinnamon scents and I love them both for very different reasons.

Lemon and Lemongrass scents always make me think of cleaning supplies. If you have ever bought a lemon-scented cleanser and loved it...let me just tell you...a homemade, all-natural cleanser with real lemon juice and essential oils is SO much better!! Not only is it safer, but that clean lemony scent lasts for hours after you are done cleaning. In fact, I could still smell lemon in my bathroom a day after using it! It was the perfect scent to use for making my own supplies.

Cinnamon, on the other hand, does not make the best cleaning scent in the world. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE the smell of cinnamon. I just needed to use it in a different way. So I started looking around online and found some recipes for making your own air freshener. Turns out you don't really need a recipe! You just mix half a bottle of water with 3-4 drops of essential oils and you are set! I tried this with one of my spray bottles and it was perfect! Word of caution though, I tried to use this mixture like Febreez on Howie's dog bed and I could see some spots after it had dried. This may cause a problem if you spray too close to curtains, furniture, etc. so be careful. But...I found one solution to that problem.

Aura Cacia actually makes a plug-in room diffuser that you can use with your essential oils. This will keep your room smelling great, without having to walk around spraying water into the air :-)


While I was searching online for room freshener recipes, I also came across some great information on making your own perfume and body sprays! The key is to learn how to blend different oils to make a harmonizing scent. I didn't realize how even just one drop of a certain oil could create a whole new scent. If you are interested in learning more about Aromatic Blending, be sure to check out Aroma Web.

And, if you do plan to make your own perfume or body spray, Aura Cacia also makes this great, old-fashioned Atomizer...


I have already started making a list of essential oils I want to purchase, especially now that I have so many great recipes and uses for them. One recipe I can't wait to try is for a Deep Cleansing Clay Mask. I was IN LOVE with Origins Get Down Deep clay cleanser that was discontinued last year and I have yet to find anything that comes close. But, I found this great recipe and I am praying it works as well as I think it will. In case you want to try it yourself, here is the recipe.

Deep Cleansing Clay Mask

* 1 ounce green clay
* 3 tablespoons distilled water
* 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
* 1 drop Geranium essential oil
* 2 drops Grapefruit essential oil
* 1 drop Juniper essential oil

It is amazing what you can do with a small bottle of essential oil and I plan to use them a lot more often! If you have any great uses for these oils or any recipes to share, please feel free to leave a comment.

Happy Friday Everyone!!

4 comments:

  1. Geranium and Juniper both smell wonderful!!!

    I think Lavendar would be a good one to add to your arsenal! Your mom and I were just talking about that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use that brand of essential oil in Euculpytus during the winter time to help with colds/flus. It works wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that plug in!! I always wonder how you use essential oil :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your blog.

    Fantastic pictures and content.

    I would like to share my blog. It's about Stop Global Warming. Please visit:

    http://globalgreenview.blogspot.com

    Keep blogging.
    Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete