Wednesday, October 27, 2010

If You Like Caramel Apples...You MUST Try This Dessert

If you don't already own Gooseberry Patch's Homemade Harvest Cookbook...you absolutely have to pick up a copy...


I have tried about 10 different recipes from this book this month and I have loved them ALL. But if one dessert recipe really stands out from the rest...it's the Apple Caramel Supreme Rolls. You have to love Caramel Apples and/or Apple Pie to enjoy it...but trust me...you won't be disappointed. Here is what you need:

* 21 oz. can apple pie filling
* 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
* 1/2 cup chopped pecans
* 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
* 1/3 cup powdered sugar
* 2 8-oz. tubes of refrigerated crescent rolls
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
* 1/2 cup butter, melted

Now...if you are lucky enough to have a sister-in-law that cans her own apple pie filling...try to hit her up for some because fresh filling totally makes this dessert :-) Thanks for this Di!


After combining your apple pie filling and caramel ice cream topping, pour it into a greased 13"x9" baking pan and then sprinkle your chopped pecans on top of the mixture...


Next, combine cream cheese and powdered sugar; set aside. Separate crescent roll dough into 2 rectangles; press perforations to seal. Spread half of the cream cheese mixture over each rectangle. Starting with the long side of each rectangle, roll up and seal edges. With a serrated knife, cut each roll into 12 equal slices. Stir together sugar and brown sugar; dip slices in butter and coat with sugar mixture. Arrange slices in baking pan like so...


Then bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes (times my vary...it took mine 35-40 to be done all the way through). You know they are done when the center rolls are golden.


The recipe suggests you invert the dish onto a serving plate, but this was VERY unsuccessful the time we tried it. Like...really unsuccessful. So this time, I just scooped the dessert out with a spoon and put it in a bowl...


I served mine warm with vanilla ice cream. It was nothing short of DELICIOUS!!!!!! I might have to go make some more tonight :-)

Speaking of tonight, I just wanted to share one other quick supper recipe from this cookbook. It is Judy's Pot Roast and Gravy recipe. All you have to make is some mashed potatoes to go with it and you are set! Here is what you need:

* 3-lb. beef chuck or cross rib roast
* 2 10-oz. cans golden mushroom soup
* 1.35-oz. package of onion soup mix

Lightly spray a large sheet of aluminum foil with non-stick spray. Arrange roast on foil and place in a 13"x9" baking pan coated with non-stick spray. Pour soup around roast; sprinkle soup mixture on top. Wrap roast tightly with aluminum foil. Bake at 450 degrees for 30 minutes; reduce heat to 325 degrees and continue baking for 3 hours. Serves 6-8 people.

* Quick Note: I bought a much smaller roast for our family an used the same amount of soup and onion mix and it turned out delicious!!! It was more gravy than we needed, but it kept the roast super moist. I have made this pot roast twice this month and Eric is already asking for it again :-) I think it's because this is the perfect meal for a chilly fall evening. And when it takes literally 5 minutes to prepare (plus baking time) you can't go wrong :-)

5 comments:

  1. I need to get that cookbook! I'm trying to get through a stack of recipes that were given to me by everyone that came to my bridal shower. But after that maybe I will buy that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think the roast recipe would work in a crock pot or would it just not be as good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several of the Gooseberry Cookbooks and they are all good - one of my is "Superfast Slowcooking".

    Also - you can make this roast recipe in the crockpot. Just don't use the foil and put it on low for 8-10 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Where's my bowl and how come it's empty!?

    Ahem...if I provide another jar of filling could you be persuaded?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I'm going to have to check out this cookbook!

    ReplyDelete