Sunday, October 10, 2010

Saying Goodbye to My 20s...

Considering how fast the last 10 years have gone, it's amazing to see just how much has changed in my life.

When I turned 20, I was just a college student spending my weekends cheering on the basketball team and hanging with my girls...


And despite my social calendar, I still managed to graduate from college with two degrees in English. I focused on Rhetoric and Composition...a subject that 99.9% of the population finds to be the most boring subject imaginable...a subject I love more every day.


After graduating, I moved home and out of my parent's house so that I could start my life as a big girl...


After a few "test runs", I finally landed my dream job at a college that would introduce me to some of the most wonderful students and friends I have ever known...


And thanks to one of my oldest and dearest best friends (who is now my sister), I found the man I had been waiting for all along...


And married him :-)


And thanks to Eric, I became a mommy not once...


But twice...


Looking back at that 20-year-old version of myself, it's hard to believe that there was ever a time when my life didn't revolve around Eric, Addie and Blake...


It's funny...with every new chapter in my life, I always think "Okay...this is where my life really begins." I thought when I went away to college it was the start of everything. But then I graduated, moved home and bought a townhouse. I remember looking at my first mortgage bill and thinking "Okay...I am broke...but it's fine because this is really where my life begins." And then of course I met Eric and a year later, as we were sitting on the beach in Punta Cana, I looked at him and said, "Babe...do you realize...this is really where our life begins?" And that was the moment. That was the moment where my life became our life. From that point on...nothing else mattered but my family.

So here I am...an almost 30-year-old wife and stay-at-home mommy who loves Martha Stewart, wearing slipper socks, reading vampire novels, shopping at Target, moonlighting as a college English teacher and snuggling with her kids on the couch while watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. The 20-year-old Jen would have made fun of me SO BAD...but the 30-year-old Jen knows that life just doesn't get much better than this :-)

13 comments:

  1. omg - I just read your blog "after" I posted mine. We really are the same person! Don't be afraid! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annnnnnd I'm crying! Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said Jen, but what else would we expect from a woman with two English degrees! Just imagine in another decade you will look at the kids, your husband, and your life and say now life is REALLY beginning. Addie will be on the brink of being a teen then, who can even imagine that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 30s are the new 20s, right? :) It looks like you've had a lovely 10 years in your 20s... but you are going to have an even BETTER next ten years! xo

    Happy birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO TRUE! Happiest of birthdays to you friend! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trust me girl...your life only gets better and youth is so wasted on the stupid!

    I'm thinking Cars and Carpenters...Let the good times roll and we've only just begun!

    Live it up! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is all so true and believe it or not..it gets better through your 30's :) Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life does get better! Look, now I have six children and grandkids and life just keeps getting better. You'll always be my little girl, but Addies a close second!
    LOL and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully stated Jen! Happy birthday and thanks again for making me tear up ;-)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it!!! :) I love all of these pictures you've shared... the Shaker one cracks me up! I also love whenever your dad comments on the blog!!! Hope you had a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for all the birthday wishes everyone!!! You guys are the best!! Love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, i love this post so much! happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete