Tuesday, November 16, 2010

25 Days of Christmas Reading!!

Last year, my SIL Dana gave me a great idea. She told me about this "Countdown to Christmas" gift idea where you buy 25 kids books, wrap each one, and then every night from December 1st until Christmas, the kids get to open one book and read it before bed. Addison has to read AT LEAST 5 books before going to bed each night and Blake is starting to like the tradition too. I just know they are both going to be so excited to open a new book each night.

I am glad that I started collecting books early this year because 25 books can get quite pricey if you don't space them out or look for good bargains. Barnes and Noble always has an AWESOME bargain books section for kids so I managed to score some great hardcover books for as little as $3.50. I also got some used kids books on BarnesandNoble.com for around $1. But of course, I had to pay a little more to make sure that I got the classics. Like...


And of course...


I also wanted to get this book so that Addie and Blake understand what Christmas is really about...


And then of course, I wanted to mix in a bunch of non-christmas books that the kids can read all year long. I am in love with two different children's authors right now. The first is Leslie Patricelli...


And Sandra Boynton. We have almost every book from both authors and the kids and I love every single one of them. Addie's favorite book (that she can actually say by heart) is The Going to Bed Book. SUCH a cute little story. We read it every night.


I was always a big fan of Shel Silverstein too and I like to read the kids his poems. Addie thinks they are funny to listen to and I love trying to make her say Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout. I could honestly go on and on about childrens books and I guess that is why I thought this countdown to Christmas was such an awesome idea. It's also a great way to add to your kid's book collection! In fact, you can also tell friends and family members to add to this tradition by buying the kids their favorite book. They can sign the inside cover with a special message and the date. What a sweet keepsake for the kids to have.

So...which children's books or authors do your kids like? Or better yet, which children's authors do you like?

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I read "Guess How Much I Love You" by Sam McBratney to Caroline before bed. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite classes in college was children's literature. Somewhere I have a list of a million and one amazing children's books. I'll see if I can dig it up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh there are so many books to tell you!!

    The Napping House
    The Giving Tree
    I Love You Forever
    The Polar Express
    The Little Drummer Boy
    Too Many Toys: A Christmas Story
    The Spirit of Christmas

    That's all I can think of off the top of my head!! A bunch of these can be found on Amazon.com. I just bought the Too Many Toys for my little cousin for a penny!! Love ya and hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that idea!!!! I may have to do that! I already bought Sean a Clifford book set that comes with 4 and a Christmas stories Nativity book set of 4. Plus Corduroy (one of my all time favorites!), Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Chicka Chicka 123and like 5 other random books...soooo thats 15! Guess I just need 10 more :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a great idea! You also have to check out Mo Willems. He is a favorite at the Ross house! Knuffle Bunny, Dont let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, and ALL the piggie books.. EXCELLENT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is SUCH a good idea!! B & N always has Christmas books on sale at the end of the year and TJ Maxx is a great place for books.

    ReplyDelete