Sunday, November 7, 2010

Friendship & Coming In 4,980th Place

As you all know, my oldest bloggy friend Chelsi came to Chicago for a visit this past week. Chelsi and I have never met in person but from the minute we yelled each other's names from across Union Station, it was like we had been real-life friends forever...


We welcomed Chelsi the best way we knew how. We ordered super fattening calzones for dinner and then my SIL Diana (The Apple Pie Gal herself), made Chelsi her very own homemade blueberry pie...


Which we devoured...


Chelsi felt right at home with us...


And Addie had no problem jumping right up on her lap to steal her pie. Addie and Chelsi hit it off instantly. Although, I am sure that had nothing to do with all the princess dresses, books and other gifts Chelsi brought for her :-)


We spent most of that first night gabbing, eating pie and drinking wine. But when everyone started to get a little silly...


We knew it was time to call it a night.

But the next day, we took Chelsi downtown Naperville to do some shopping and eating. First stop...Barnes and Noble. We can't get out of downtown without letting Addie run around the kids section. Usually she wants to sit on my lap and look at a book. But not this time!


Blake was pretty content just reading in his stroller :-)


After a trip to the running store, followed by a trip to the candy store (we have to even things out), we smiled for one group picture...


I really hate how fast trips go when people come to visit. I had a list of a million things I wanted to do while Chelsi was in town, but the time just went too fast. And before we knew it, that day was over and we had to get to bed SUPER early so that we could be up by 4:30 a.m. to run the Hot Chocolate 5K!

Here we are at 5:30, all piled in my SIL's van ready to head to the city.


As you can see, I also convinced my SIL Dana to run this race with me :-) Even though it was early, she was SO excited to be on the way to her first race. Joe, on the other hand, was not as excited...


I guess I don't blame him either. When we arrived downtown at 6:30, it was only 21 DEGREES!!!! The word "cold" doesn't even cut it. I tried to get everyone to stay in the van as long as possible...


But in the end, Eric convinced me to get out and get warmed up. It was so nice having him there to support me :-)


And here we are...freezing our asses off, waiting for the race to start...


I have to admit, as soon as the gun went off, my body warmed right up. I ran faster and stronger this race and that was so motivating to me! My body felt great and I didn't even lose my breath until the very end. But even out of breath, you can see that I was still smiling the whole time (I am in the purple jacket)...


My first race time was 30:16 and even though I felt so much faster this race, my time came out at 33:58. Dana's time was the same because we actually ran across the finish line holding hands. Ha! That is going to make for a cute picture I think :-)

This race was a total blast, but even the streets of Chicago were not big enough for 30,000 people to spread out and run a 5K/15K. There were lots of pile-ups, slow walkers, "traffic" jams, etc. and if it were not for those few problems, I think everyone would have come out with a better time. But hey...it's all in good fun right? Who cares if I came in 4,980th place...all I really wanted to do was go for a nice jog with my friends on the lakefront. Mission accomplished :-)

And since everyone was piled up in the end of this race, I managed to literally run into my friend Dan!


Afterwards, we all headed over to get some chocolate fondue!!!!! I guess this is how you melt enough chocolate to feed 30,000 people :-)


We were all given one of these and let me just tell you...it was SO worth the race. YUMMY!!!


Dana and I couldn't wait to chow down...


We were all on such a high after finishing the race. Chelsi finished her first 5K too, which was a huge goal for her. I was so proud :-)


But after lunch, it was time for us to say goodbye. I really wish it was easy for us to just say, "see ya next week" but oh well. Chelsi and I have managed to stay long distance buddies for the last 2+ years and I know we can manage many more to come :-)


It was so wonderful seeing you Chels. Thanks for flying out, for making me laugh, and for being my running partner. It was a wonderful weekend and I really hope we can make it happen again some day. Hugs!!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Love ya babe! I have a ton of comments but since I'm still busy touring the city I will wait until I'm in front of a computer! But thank you SO much for all of your hospitality! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me tag along! Glad I got to meet Miss Chelsi and go "fartin' around"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved seeing the pictures of your weekend adventure. So much fun! Kudos to both for the 5K finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I gotta say girl, that 4,900 something place is NOT bad out of that many runners!!!

    Good JOB!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now thats true friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just so excited for you guys! Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the finish! It makes no difference what place you came in!! So fun to have your friends do it with you!

    ReplyDelete