Friday, January 7, 2011

Eco-Friendly Friday: Taking Inventory

In April, I will celebrate the one year anniversary of starting Eco-Friendly Fridays! I honestly can't believe it has been that long already! But we have covered some great topics and I hope that I have inspired at least a few of you to start living a more eco-friendly lifestyle :-)

For those of you who know me in real life, you know that I still have a lot of work to do when it comes to going green. I am learning new things every day and I am a thousand times more conscious of what I eat, what I throw away and what I use to clean my house than I was only a year ago. I seem to learn best by reading about what others do. My team members at Reuseit.com have been a great resource for me and I will continue to rely on their advice and helpful suggestions. I also find that reading about going green helps because there are so many fantastic books with really simple, practical tips for making a change.

One such book is The Green Book...


I read/heard about this book last year and finally picked up a copy on my Nook. It has a lot of great tips and I really enjoyed reading some of the advice that celebrities contributed. I swear...if I could just win the lottery...there are SO MANY things I would love to change about my house (like getting rid of all my carpet and replacing it with hardwood floors and organic rugs). But since I haven't won the lotto...yet...I am going to rely on some of the more practical tips :-)

Since January is the month for cleaning and taking inventory of your home...and life...I thought I would try to do the same with Eco-Friendly Fridays. After taking inventory of what we already covered last year, I noticed that there are a lot of great topics still not covered. This actually makes me happy because I would like to continue with this segment for as long as possible. BUT...for the sake of giving you a much more helpful, researched post (and for the sake of my sanity), I am going to make Eco-Friendly Fridays a monthly segment, as apposed to weekly like it was last year. Now, if it just so happens that I have the time and/or inspiration to post more than once a month on this subject...I will. But I am trying to simplify this year and that means not taking on more than I can handle. I would rather give you one FANTASTIC post a month, then 4 half-a**, in-the-middle-of-the-night posts that don't offer any great information.

Now...because I want these posts to be super helpful for everyone, I would LOVE to know if there are any topics you would like me to add to the list this year. I know DIY posts were popular and I have several more planned (with the help of my SIL Martha Sewart :-) I also have a guest mommy blogger that will be walking us through cloth diapers and other suggestions for going green in the nursery. My friend Jill has offered to help me with a segment that is dedicated to eco-friendly designer handbags, shoes, jeans, etc. I also have a stack of books to read and some other research planned...but really...I would LOVE your suggestions! Please leave a comment and let me know what you would like to see featured on Eco-Friendly Fridays in 2011!

Well that's all I have for this week friends! Eco-Friendly Fridays will now move to the last Friday of the month so stay tuned for something great later this month!!!

1 comment:

  1. I just borrowed this book from my SIL a few weeks ago but have yet to read it. Now you've got me interested :)

    ReplyDelete